A hard reset or master reset is a procedure you should do if your Google Pixel 3 XL no longer boots up properly or gets stuck on the boot screen. It’s very important that you know how to do this procedure because you wouldn’t know when your phone would act up and stops to boot up. You don’t need to be able to get your phone to the home screen in order to do this unlike the other reset method because you’ll be booting up your phone in Recovery Mode in order to do it.
However, just like the factory reset through the settings menu, you will also lose your files that are saved in your phone’s internal storage. So, if possible, create a backup of your files before doing it. Another thing that may push to do this procedure is when you forgot your PIN, password or any screen lock method you’ve setup and you can’t unlock your device. But you must know your Google ID and password because you’ll be using them to setup your phone after the reset so that you won’t get locked out of the Pixel 3 XL.
Continue reading as I will walk you through on how to perform the hard reset on your Pixel 3 XL in this post. But before anything else, if you found this article while trying to find a solution to a different problem, then visit our Pixel 3 XL Help Guides for we have already addressed some of the most common issues with this device. We may already have published articles that could help you fix your problem.
Step-by-step instructions on how to hard reset Google Pixel 3 XL
When performing the hard reset on your Pixel 3 XL, both the power and volume down keys should be working properly as you’ll be needing them to reboot your in recovery mode. If one of them doesn’t work, then you can’t do this procedure. As early as now, I suggest you bring the device to the store or shop so a technician can take a look at it. Now, going back to the hard reset, here’s how it’s done on the Pixel 3 XL:
- Make sure your phone is turned off completely. So, press and hold the power key for a few minutes until the device powers down.
- Press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power key together for a few seconds.
- When the Fastboot Mode shows on the screen, release both keys.
- Using the Volume keys, highlight Recovery Mode and then press Power key to boot the phone into it.
- If you see the Android on the screen, press and hold the power key for a couple of seconds and then press the volume up key once.
- Once you’re inside the Recovery Mode, use the Volume keys to navigate through the options. Highlight “wipe data/factory reset” and then press the power key to select it.
- You need to confirm that you really need to wipe the data of your phone so highlight Yes and then press the power key to choose it.
- Wait until your phone finished doing the reset, which may take several seconds to a couple of minutes.
- When the reset is complete, highlight and choose ‘Reboot system now’ to complete the process.
There you go! That’s how to hard reset a Google Pixel 3 XL smartphone. I hope that this tutorial can help you one way or another. Feel free to share this post with your friends or anyone who might need it.