When your Google Pixel 3 shows up the message “No service, Emergency calls only” it’s more likely a network-related issue. Either it’s getting no coverage or there’s a problem with the tower that provides the signal. But there are also other factors that may lead to the appearance of this notice. But whatever the reason is, it always has something to do with the signal.
In this post, I will give you the most practical troubleshooting procedures you can use when this problem happens. It is very important that you address it as soon as it starts because you won’t be able to send and receive text messages nor make and receive phone calls. If you’re one of the owners of this device or any Android smartphone for that matter and are currently bugged by this problem, continue reading as this article may be able to help you somehow.
Before we go any further, if you are looking for a solution to a different problem, then you must visit our Pixel 3 Help Guides as we’ve already solved some of the most common issues with this device. There could already be posts that tackle the problem as you currently have.
Now, going back to our troubleshooting, here are some practical procedures you can do for this specific problem…
- Forced Reboot – this must be the first thing you should do especially if this is the first time that the problem occured because it could be due to a firmware crash. To perform the forced restart means to refresh your device’s memory and reload all its apps and services. To do this, press and hold the the Power key for 30 seconds or even more and when the logo shows up on the screen, release it.
- Check coverage in your area – well, you must already know if there’s always some issues in your area especially if you’ve been living there for quite some time. Having a decent coverage is important when it comes to texting and calling as the phone needs to establish a strong connection with your provider’s network. You may also check your other phones if they too have the same problem because if they do, it’s a network issue and you don’t need to do anything as it will be fixed after an hour or two. Your carrier may already be fixing it.
- Reseat your SIM card – assuming your other devices have excellent coverage and only your Pixel 3 has the Emergency calls only warning, then it might be due to the SIM card. Verify that it’s properly mounted because there’s always the possibility that it doesn’t touch the connectors properly and if that’s the case, your device may detect it has a SIM card but can’t get it to work properly.
- Check the condition of the SIM – if you have another device, you may try inserting the SIM card into it to know if it still works because if it does, then it’s clear that the problem is with your Pixel 3. There could be something that obstructs the connection of the SIM card with your phone and you may need a technician to check it for you. However, if the SIM card doesn’t work with other devices as well, then it’s time you replaced it with a new one.
- Toggle Flight Mode on and off– I personally encountered network-related issues that were caused by airplane mode so it’s also important that you, at least, toggle its switch on and off just to rule out the possibility that it’s just a minor glitch caused by such feature. Remember, airplane mode can disable all wireless communications in your device in just one touch so it’s possible it’s the cause.
- Reset Network Settings – under the settings menu, there’s an option that will allow you to reset all network settings in your device. You have to try it should this problem continues to bug you without any apparent reason or cause. What it does is bring your phone’s network configuration to factory defaults including all its values.
- Factory reset your phone – if everything else failed to fix the problem, then you must get your phone ready for the tech and the best thing to do that is to perform the factory reset to delete all your personal information and data. This would also rule out the possibility that it’s a firmware problem. However, make sure to backup your important files and data as they will be deleted during the process.
After the reset and you Google Pixel 3 is still showing the “No service, Emergency calls only” error, then you should bring it back to the store or shop so the tech can check it up for you.
I hope that this how-to post has helped you one way or another. Please help us spread the word by sharing this post to your friends or people who may also have similar problems. Thanks for reading!