Dealing with random Wi-Fi disconnects or Wi-Fi drops on your iPhone XS Max? If that is so, then this post is for you. Keep reading and get help.
The iOS version (iOS 12.3.1) has already been made available for selected iPhone models including the iPhone XS Max. This iOS version aims at resolving widespread issues like unable to receive and make VoLTE calls as well as issue on some unknown messages appearing in the conversation list even if the option to Filter Unknown Senders is enabled. Though it seems to be a promising update, some iPhone XS Max users have reported sudden disconnection from their Wi-Fi network after updating to the latest iOS version. This is a dilemma where Wi-Fi connection changes to LTE or other network bands on its own. The changes are noticeable when navigating through websites and you see the Wi-Fi logo changes to LTE or other label. If you’re experiencing this same issue on your iPhone XS Max, then this troubleshooting guide may be able to help you out. Read on to find out what to do if your iPhone XS Max suddenly disconnects from the Wi-Fi network.
Don’t forget to perform some tests after performing each solution to determine if the Wi-Fi issue has been resolved. If not, then you can move on to the next possible procedure.
First solution: Restart your wireless router/modem.
Check first the primary source of your Internet connection. Software might have caused the issue initially but Wi-Fi connection issue can also be inflicted by a corrupted firmware and that includes your modem and router. Like other devices, network equipment can also give into some minor firmware crashes that could lead to wireless connectivity issues among all connected devices. To fix this problem, restarting the network equipment is recommended. To restart your router/modem, just follow these steps:
- Press the Power button or ON/OFF switch on the wireless router/modem until it shuts off.
- While it’s turned off, unplug the AC adapter from the power source and leave it that way up to a minute.
- After a minute, plug the AC adapter back to its power source then turn on again.
After restarting your wireless modem/router, reboot or soft reset your iPhone XS max to refresh its system and to clear out cache from its memory.
ALSO READ: How to fix Caller ID that is not working properly on your Apple iPhone XS Max
Second Solution: Turn Off/On your iPhone’s Wi-Fi.
Turning the Wi-Fi off and on is a very simple trick that has long been used by many iPhone owners to deal with various types of problems affecting wireless services. It gives the phone’s wireless functions a quick refresh and thereby eliminates random Internet flaws. There are different ways to get this done.
You can use the Wi-Fi toggle on your iPhone by going to Settings-> Wi-Fi menu and then toggle the Wi-Fi switch to turn it Off. Wait for a few seconds then toggle the switch to turn Wi-Fi back on.
Another way to refresh wireless features and network services is through the Airplane mode toggle. Here’s how it’s done:
- Access Settings -> Airplane Mode menu.
- Toggle the switch to turn Airplane Mode On. This will disable all your wireless connections including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Cellular Data.
- Restart or soft reset your iPhone XS max while Airplane mode is turned on.
- After rebooting the phone, go back to Settings -> Airplane Mode and turn the Airplane mode switch Off.
Re-establish the Wi-Fi connection on your phone and then test to check if your Wi-Fi network is already stable.
Third Solution: Forget the Wi-Fi network and add it back.
Corrupted Wi-Fi network may also cause connections to drop unexpectedly. If this happens, you will need to disconnect corrupted networks from your phone’s system and re-set it up. Here are the steps:
- Go to Settings from the Home screen.
- Select Wi-Fi then tap to Enable it.
- Look for your Wi-Fi network on the list then select it.
- Tap the Information Icon next to the name of the network (SSID).
- Select the option to Forget this Network.
- Once prompted, select Forget network to confirm.
You can also delete all your saved Wi-Fi networks to prevent them from causing conflicts with the Wi-Fi network in use.
ALSO READ: How to fix Apple iPhone XS Max audio/no sound problem, cannot hear any sound from iPhone speaker
Fourth Solution: Reset network settings on iPhone XS Max.
If the issue is still not resolved, it may need a more advanced solution. This is when you may opt for resets. Since you’re dealing with a network-related issue, performing a network reset is recommended. Resetting the network settings on your iPhone will erase all current settings for cellular and Wi-Fi networks and then restore your Internet settings back to the default configuration. This is usually needed if the recent software update has overridden the phone’s current network configurations. To reset network settings on your iPhone XS Max, simply follow these steps:
- Select Settings from the Home screen.
- Go to General.
- Scroll down and then select Reset.
- Select Reset network settings and enter your passcode once asked, then follow the onscreen instructions to proceed reset network settings.
After the reset, your phone will restart automatically and then revert to its default network configurations. You will need to re-set up your Wi-Fi networks to connect to Wi-Fi internet like the first time you did.
Fifth Solution: Restore iPhone in iTunes.
If you are still facing the same Wi-Fi connection issue after exhausting all the given procedures, then you may need to resort to restoring iOS. There’s a great possibility that the problem on Wi-Fi disconnects will get fixed through this method especially if complex network bugs are to blame. Since this process results in permanent data loss, creating a backup is highly recommended. You can back up your important files from the iPhone to iCloud or iTunes beforehand. Then you can proceed whenever you’re all set for a system restore.
Simply follow these steps to restore your iPhone XS max in recovery mode through iTunes. You can use a Mac or Windows computer that has the latest version of iTunes app installed when restoring your iPhone. Just follow these steps whenever you’re ready:
- Using the Apple-supplied syncing cable/Lightning cable, connect your iPhone XS Max to your computer.
- Once it’s connected, press and quickly release the Volume Up Button.
- Then quickly press and release the Volume Down Button.
- When the Apple logo appears, press and hold the Side/Power Button as you need to put the device on recovery mode.
- Release the Side/Power Button once you see the Connect to iTunes logo on the screen.
- Go to iTunes and make sure you are seeing a message saying your connected iOS device is in recovery mode and prompts options to update or restore.
- Choose the Restore option to wipe everything from the phone system and then restore iOS through iTunes.
Just follow the onscreen commands to finish the system restore. Once everything is completed, you may disconnect your iPhone from the computer and restart it.
Still experiencing random Wi-Fi disconnects on your iPhone XS Max?
There might be some problems on the network base that caused Wi-Fi services to become unstable at the moment. To check on this, you can contact your Internet service provider/carrier. You can ask them to check their outage board for temporary outages. If you suspect that the problem is due to minor firmware crashes on the network equipment, then you can ask your modem/router provider to reset the wireless equipment remotely.
You can also contact Apple support for proper problem escalation. Software updates are typically created to address widespread issues based on the feedback they get from the affected users.
To rule out hardware damage on the network equipment that might have caused random Wi-Fi disconnects, you can take your modem or router to an authorized service center nearby. Or you can also visit the nearest Apple service center in your area and ask an authorized technician to run some hardware tests on your device.
Connect with us
We are committed to helping our readers fix the problems with their phones as well as learn how to properly use their devices. So, if you have other issues, you may visit our Help Guides page so you can check by yourself the articles we’ve already published that contain solutions to common problems. Also, we do create videos to demonstrate how things are done on your phone. Visit our Youtube Channel and please subscribe to it. Thanks.