Getting stuck on a blank or black screen after rebooting the iOS device is common, especially if your phone has been exposed to physical damage. But if the issue emerged after installing the recent iOS 13 update, that is another issue that requires close attention. In this post, we have mapped out possible techniques you can apply in case you will be stuck on blank or black screen after installing iOS 13 on your iPhone XR device.
Before we move on to our troubleshooting, if you happen to find this post while looking for a solution to a different problem, then visit our iPhone XR Help Guides page for we have already addressed some of the most common issues with this device. We may have already published articles that could help you fix your problem. Find issues that are similar to yours and feel free to use our solutions.
Why stuck on blank or black screen after iOS 13?
A major data corruption triggered by bad apps or bad software are likely to blame. Your screen may also turn black if the battery drains quickly due to multiple apps running in the background. As long as your phone has no hardware damage, there’s still something that we can do on our end to fix the issue.
First solution: Charge your iPhone XR to fix stuck on blank or black screen after iOS 13.
Your phone might be stuck on black screen due to massive draining of your battery. So before anything else, try to charge your iPhone XR device. If you are showing an empty battery image while charging your phone, your phone has obviously turned black for a reason that it ran out of battery while installing the iOS 13 update. So, wait until your phone gets enough battery life, then press and hold the Side/Power button to turn your phone back on while charging. Otherwise, move on to the next procedure.
Second solution: Force restart your iPhone XR.
If your iPhone XR is having system error after iOS 13, you just need to perform a forced restart. This option provides the same output as with soft reset, but it’s just that it is carried out using the hard keys. Here’s how:
- Quickly press and then release the Volume Up button.
- Quickly press and then release the Volume Down button.
- Lastly, press and hold the Side/Power button until the Apple logo appears on your screen.
All running apps in the background and those corrupted apps will also be cleared out after the forced restart. But if this technique didn’t work as expected and you are still stuck on black or black screen, try the next solution.
Third solution: Restore your iPhone XR in recovery mode via iTunes.
Restoring your iPhone XR in recovery mode using iTunes is deemed to be an effective fix for phones that are stuck on blank or black screen after iOS 13 due to complex software glitches and tough post-update bugs. This option will require you a Mac or Windows computer with the latest iTunes software installed. To put your iPhone XR in recovery mode and restore its iOS, follow these steps:
- Connect your iPhone XR to the computer using the supplied USB cable.
- Then press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Side/Power button when prompted to Connect to iTunes command. Continue to press and hold the Power button when the Apple logo appears to successfully put your phone in recovery mode. Otherwise, you’ll need to redo the steps.
- When iPhone XR is already in recovery mode, options Update or Restore will appear.
- To download and reinstall the iOS on your iPhone XR without wiping the data saved on your phone’s memory, select Update.
Once iTunes has finished updating or restoring the iOS on your device, follow the onscreen instructions to set up your phone as new again.
Fourth solution: DFU Mode (Device Firmware Update) restore your iPhone XR that’s stuck on black screen
If the issue still persists up to this point, DFU mode restore is deemed to be your last resort in fixing the problem on your end. This option will restore your phone to its factory default settings even without the boot loader being activated. Being said, you need to back up your saved files to either iTunes or iCloud beforehand, if possible. Connect your iPhone XR to the computer using the supplied USB or lightning cable and then follow these steps:
- Quickly press and release the Volume Up button.
- Quickly press and release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and wait until the screen goes black.
- Once the screen turns black, continue holding down the Side/Power button and then press and hold the Volume Down button for at least 5 seconds.
- Then release the Side or Power button but continue holding the Volume Down button for another 5 seconds.
- After the elapsed time, iTunes will recognize your iPhone XR device. When it does, release the Volume Down button.
Then follow the onscreen instructions to initiate the restoration of your iPhone XR device. If your phone has been successfully restored, it will automatically exit from DFU mode and you will be prompted with the initial activation screen. Otherwise, exit DFU mode by doing a forced restart. Please see steps on the second solution to initiate a forced restart on your device. Then proceed to set up your iPhone XR as new again.
Other possible fixes:
When everything seems to work properly after performing either of the solutions provided above, might as well free-up your phone memory, install apps updates, and update the software on your device for excellent positive results. Doing so will not only improve your phone’s performance but also prevent the stuck on blank or black screen issue to reoccur in the future.
- Free-up phone memory: Go to Settings->General->Storage & iCloud Usage->Manage Storage. Then check for possible apps that are less-used and are causing your battery to drain quickly . Delete the apps when needed.
- Install apps updates: Out-dated apps can also cause the boot up system to act up. To clear this out, check for and install pending apps updates by heading to App Store->Profile icon. A list of pending apps updates will be generated once available. Tap Update All to install all apps updates.
- 400″>Software update: Check for available software update to possibly fix iOS 13 bugs. Head to Settings->General->Software Update. A notification prompt will appear on your screen whenever a new version of iOS is available. Read the terms and conditions before you download and install the update.
But if you’re not fortunate enough to be able to fix the problem using the given solutions above, you can contact Apple support and ask for further assistance.
Connect with us
We are committed to helping our readers fix the problems with their phones as well as learn how to properly use their devices. So, if you have other issues, you may visit our Help Guides page so you can check by yourself the articles we’ve already published that contain solutions to common problems. Also, we do create videos to demonstrate how things are done on your phone. Visit our Youtube Channel and please subscribe to it. Thanks.