Couldn’t get Messenger app to work properly on your iPhone XR? If that is so, then this post is for you. Find out what causes Messenger to keep crashing on your iPhone and how to fix it.
App-related issues like random crashes have been one of the most widely encountered problems among smartphone users back then up to the present. These problems are usually transpiring if when certain apps are kept running in the background for long.
Other common causes of random app crashes would include system errors and software bugs. For network-based apps, network errors and internet connectivity issues are usually the underlying cause of the problem. Any app could give into these problems at any time and the Messenger app is no exception. If you’re an iPhone XR user who’s been troubled with the Messenger app that keeps crashing, the solutions mapped out below can help you. Read on and learn how to troubleshoot your iPhone XR Messenger app that’s suddenly acting up.
Before we move on to our troubleshooting, if you happen to find this post while looking for a solution to a different problem, then visit our iPhone XR Help Guides page for we have already addressed some of the most common issues with this device. We may have already published articles that could help you fix your problem. Find issues that are similar to yours and feel free to use our solutions.
First solution: Close Messenger and all apps running in the background.
Apps that have been kept running in the background for quite some time might have been corrupted and caused other apps including Messenger to go rogue. If that’s the case, then clearing background apps will likely be able to fix the problem. Doing so will likewise refresh your phone’s internal memory for better and smoother performance. Here’s how it’s done:
- Swipe your finger up and then pause from the Home screen.
- Swipe left or right to navigate through the apps preview.
- Then swipe up on each app’s preview to close individual background apps.
Just do the same steps to end any other apps so as to prevent them from causing conflicts with Messenger.
Also ensure that app restrictions on your iPhone aren’t enabled. You can check this through Settings-> Screen Time menu. Then make sure that the Content & Privacy Restrictions switch is turned off.
When restrictions are turned on, some of your apps including Messenger may not be able to load up or work as intended.
Second solution: Perform a soft reset (restart) on your Iphone XR.
The problem on random app crashes may continue after performing the first solution if other factors like minor firmware crashes and software errors are the underlying cause. To deal with these minor flaws like this, carrying out a soft reset or reboot on your device might come in handy. Restarting the phone will also help in clearing out junk files or caches that might be affecting other apps and services including Messenger. If you haven’t already, then here’s how to soft reset your iPhone XR:
- Press and hold the Power/Side button and either of the Volume buttons simultaneously for a few seconds.
- Release the buttons once the Slide to Power off prompts on the screen.
- Drag the Power off slider to the right to turn off your phone.
- Wait for 30 seconds, then press and hold the Power/Side button again until the Apple logo appears.
An alternative method to a soft reset is a force restart. It works the same with a soft reset when it comes to dealing with minor firmware crashes but differs on how it’s being executed. If your phone becomes unresponsive when Messenger crashes, then you will need to force restart your iPhone. Here’s how:
- Press and release the Volume Up button quickly.
- Press and release the Volume Down button quickly.
- Lastly, press and hold the Power/Side button until the Apple logo appears.
Let your iPhone finish the restart sequence and then check and see if you’re already able to use Messenger app without bumping into any errors. If the problem continues and Messenger app continues to crash, try to next solutions to eliminate other triggers.
Third solution: Reset network settings on your iPhone XR.
Unstable signal or network connectivity issues can also affect the performance of network-related apps like Messenger. In fact, online apps may not load up or work as intended when network connection errors are transpiring. If this is what’s triggering your iPhone XR Messenger to crash randomly, performing a reset network settings might help solve the problem. Doing so will eliminate all network settings errors saved on your phone and revert to the default network values and options. Just follow these steps whenever you’re all set to reset network settings on your iPhone XR:
- Access Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Scroll down to and then select Reset.
- Tap the Reset Network Settings option.
- Enter your device passcode once prompted.
- Then tap to confirm network settings reset.
Your iPhone will automatically reboot after the reset process is done. After it boots up, just open the Messenger app to check if the crashing issue has been resolved.
Fourth solution: Update Messenger and other apps on your iPhone XR.
Updates are regularly rolled out to address widespread problems on certain apps and system services. These updates contain fix patches that are necessary to clear out bugs and malware that are causing havoc to your phone’s system functions. App problems depicted by random crashes can also be remedied through these updates so it could be worth a shot. Just follow the steps below to check and install pending app updates on your phone:
- Access App Store from the Home screen.
- Navigate to the Updates section at the bottom right of the screen. You’ll then see a screen with the list of apps with pending updates pop up.
- Tap the Update option next to the name of the app to update individual apps. If you want to update all apps simultaneously, tap the Update All button. You can use the Update All option if you’ll see multiple apps with pending updates available.
Wait for your apps to complete and finish updating then restart your iPhone XR to implement recent software changes. This should also give your phone’s internal memory and operating system a quick refresh.
ALSO READ: How to fix Apple iPhone XR that has no sound
Fifth solution: Uninstall then reinstall Messenger app on your iPhone XR.
Sometimes, software updates that are being rolled out also contain some bugs that eventually cause certain other problems to arise. If the Messenger app started to crash after installing an update, then that’s likely the culprit. It is possible that the Messenger app has been corrupted due to some software bugs. In this case, uninstalling and reinstalling the app could be the key to fixing it. Deleting the app is also a way of clearing out junk files and corrupted temporary data that might have inflicted errors to Messenger and other services. Just follow these steps whenever you’re all set to delete and reinstall the app on your phone:
- From the Home screen, tap and hold on an app icon until the icons start jiggling.
- Tap the X on the app you want to delete.
- Select Delete to confirm the deletion of the selected app.
- Perform a soft reset on your iPhone XS Max.
- After the reboot process is done, open the App store from the Home screen.
- Navigate to Updates > Purchased menu.
- Tap the Not on This iPhone tab.
- Select the app that you want to reinstall on your device.
- If you don’t see the app from the selected tab, try switching to All tab.
After performing the steps, re-open your Messenger app and check if the issue has been rectified.
Is your iPhone XR Messenger app still crashing?
Complex system errors, network problems, and server downtimes are usually the underlying cause if the problem continues after exhausting all prior procedures. If you found no luck from the suggested solutions, then it could be because the problem isn’t rectifiable by end-users. There might be some temporary network errors or server downtimes transpiring on the Messenger server. Unfortunately in cases like this, there’s not much can be done on your end but to wait until the server is back up and running properly again.
Connect with us
We are committed to helping our readers fix the problems with their phones as well as learn how to properly use their devices. So, if you have other issues, you may visit our Help Guides page so you can check by yourself the articles we’ve already published that contain solutions to common problems. Also, we do create videos to demonstrate how things are done on your phone. Visit our Youtube Channel and please subscribe to it. Thanks.