The main purpose of having an iOS update is to provide features enhancement and fix current software issues. But on the other hand, this major update is also known to interrupt phone’s various functions. And one of which is the Facebook messenger that keeps crashing after installing the latest iOS version. For this instance, random software bugs are likely to blame.
Messenger is an instant messaging app that allows users to share photos, videos, audios, and recordings. It is also an effective way of communicating with Facebook friends and is for free. In fact, the latest data shows that it has already reached over 1 billion users. So if most of these Messenger users have iPhone devices and are having issues with Messenger after installing the latest iOS version, then this should be a phenomenal issue that needs urgent solutions.
In this article, we have cited possible causes as to why Facebook messenger keeps crashing after iOS 13 installation and their corresponding solutions. The steps below will help you rule out each possibility so that you can determine the reason why the issue occurs and that way, you can fix it. Continue reading as this article may be able to help you.
Before we move on to our troubleshooting, if you happen to find this post while looking for a solution to a different problem, then visit our iPhone XS Help Guides page for we have already addressed some of the most common issues with this device. We may have already published articles that could help you fix your problem. Find issues that are similar to yours and feel free to use our solutions.
First solution: Quit/close Messenger app then restart
The most common fix for app that misbehaves or keeps crashing is to simply close then restart the app. Doing so will delete or clear app’s cache files that might have triggered it to act up. Here is how:
- On the Home screen, swipe your finger up and then pause.
- Swipe left or right to search for the Messenger app preview.
- Then swipe up on the app’s preview to close it. Doing so will completely delete Messenger’s cache.
Afterwards, re-launch the Messenger app to check if the problem is already fixed. If not, proceed to the next solution.
Second solution: Restart your iPhone XS
Cache files from corrupted apps can also affect your phone’s performance. These slow down the operational functions of your device and trigger various symptoms to occur. If the closing and re-launching of the Messenger app hasn’t totally deleted its cached files, perform a soft reset on your phone. Doing so will not only dump unnecessary data saved on your phone’s internal memory but also refreshes its operating system. Here are the steps:
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and one of the Volume buttons simultaneously until the Slide to Power Off command appears.
- Drag the power off slider to turn of your iPhone.
- Wait for at least 30 seconds, then press and hold the Side/Power button again until the Apple logo appears.
Cache files from corrupted apps including for Messenger should be dumped out after the reset. Once your iPhone XS reboots completely, launch Messenger and check if it is no longer crashing. Continue troubleshooting if the problem persists.
Third solution: Update the Messenger app on your iPhone.
Software update is intended to provide features enhancement on iOS device. But third-party apps also have separate updates that developers occasionally roll out to cope up with the latest iOS version installed. In case you haven’t set your phone to perform automatic-updates, you can manually check for and install pending apps updates on your iPhone XS using the following steps:
- From Home, launch App Store.
- Tap on your Profile icon on the top-right corner on your screen.
- Scroll down to Pending Updates section and search for Messenger app’s pending update.
- Tap Update next to Messenger to install the update.
- Otherwise, tap Update All if you wish to install all available pending apps updates. Installing all pending apps updates will also prevent any of the apps from acting up in the future.
Restart (soft reset) after installing pending app/s updates. Then launch the Messenger app to see if it is already working. If it doesn’t, move to the next possible solution.
Fourth solution: Reset network settings on your iPhone XS.
Facebook messenger is an online service that requires a stable internet connection. Thus, it may stop working or keeps crashing when having slow to no internet connection. If the underlying cause of having unstable internet connection on your iPhone XS is due to network errors, performing a network settings reset might fix the problem. Here is how:
- Launch Settings app from your Home screen.
- Select General.
- Scroll to and tap on Reset.
- Select the option Reset network settings.
- Enter your device passcode to continue.
- Then select the option to confirm the reset.
Your phone will reboot automatically once the reset is done and loads the default network values and options. Proceed to re-enable the features that you’re going to use including Wi-Fi. Once you’re phone has re-established its internet connection, launch Facebook messenger app and check if it is no longer crashing.
Fifth solution: Uninstall then reinstall Messenger
When the crashing problem becomes persistent even after performing the aforementioned techniques, there’s a big chance that the app itself is totally corrupted and can no longer work as intended. In this case, removing the corrupted application and reinstalling its latest version should probably help solve the problem. To get this done, follow these steps:
- Gently touch and hold the Messenger app until it starts to jiggle.
- Tap the X icon on top-left corner of the Messenger app to uninstall it.
- Then tap Delete to confirm. Proceed to restart (soft reset) after the app has been successfully deleted to clear out dump files from the corrupted app.
- Once your phone is completely back on, head back to the App Store, then search for and install the latest version of the Messenger app.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
Whenever the installation has been completed, launch the Messenger app to make sure that it is now working properly.
What to do next if Messenger app continues to crash?
When none of the given solutions fix the Messenger crashing problem, the last troubleshooting that you can carry out on your end is restoring your phone to its factory reset. Note that this option should only be carried out if your phone starts to act up, keeps on lagging, or becomes unresponsive due to the Messenger app that keeps crashing. And therefore, the issue needs more advanced solution. Make sure to create a backup beforehand to secure the files saved on your phone. Then proceed to do a full system reset through your phone’s settings menu or via iTunes.
On the other hand, if the performance of your phone is perfect and the only problem is with Messenger; the issue is obviously with the app itself and not because of any post-update bugs nor random software glitches. Being said, you now need to contact Messenger support for further assistance.
Connect with us
We are committed to helping our readers fix the problems with their phones as well as learn how to properly use their devices. So, if you have other issues, you may visit our Help Guides page so you can check by yourself the articles we’ve already published that contain solutions to common problems. Also, we do create videos to demonstrate how things are done on your phone. Visit our Youtube Channel and please subscribe to it. Thanks.