Before we move on to our troubleshooting, if you happen to find this post while looking for a solution to a different problem, then visit our iPhone XR Help Guides page for we have already addressed some of the most common issues with this device. We may have already published articles that could help you fix your problem. Find issues that are similar to yours and feel free to use our solutions.
What can make the Messenger app to frequently crash?
Random software glitches, network connectivity errors, and post-update bugs are the most common triggers of the crashing app symptom to occur on your device. Delightedly, these errors are still repairable using the workarounds that we have listed below. Read on and begin fixing the messenger keeps crashing issue on your iOS 13.2 iPhone XR.
First solution: Force closed running apps in the background including messenger.
The apps that are left running in the background have the tendency to misbehave after the new system implementation. If this is causing the Messenger app to keep crashing after iOS 13.2, closing this app from the background and the rest of the running apps will likely to fix the problem. To do this, follow the steps provided below:
- Swipe up from the bottom and slightly pause in the middle until the App Switcher appears.
- Swipe left or right to navigate through the app previews.
- Swipe up the messenger app preview to close it from the background.
- Do the same to the rest of the running apps.
After closing all the background apps, re-launch Messenger and check if the crashing problem is already fixed. If not, try the next solution.
Second solution: Restart (soft reset) your iPhone XR to fix messenger that keeps crashing after iOS 13.2.
Minor software glitches and cache files from the corrupted apps can be completely eliminated by giving your phone a full restart. Here is how:
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and either Volume button simultaneously until the Slide to Power Off command appears.
- Drag the power off slider for a complete device shut down.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Side/Power button again until the Apple logo appears.
However, if your phone screen becomes unresponsive due to the frequent crashing of the messenger app, refresh your phone’s system by doing a hard reset (force restart) instead. Here is how:
- Press and then quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and then quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Finally, press and hold the Side/Power button until the Apple logo appears.
Wait until your phone boots up completely. Then launch the messenger app again to see if it no longer keeps on crashing. If it does, move on to the next solution.
Third solution: Reset network settings on your iPhone XR.
Erratic network configurations transpired during the iOS update might have triggered the messenger app to constantly crash. If the messenger keeps crashing issue is tied up to connectivity errors, resetting the network settings on your iPhone XR device can be of help. Here is how:
- Launch the Settings app from Home.
- Select General.
- Scroll to and tap Reset.
- Then select Reset network settings option.
- Enter your device passcode when prompted, and then continue.
- Then select the option to confirm network settings reset.
Your phone will reboot by itself after the reset and loads the default network configurations. By then, proceed to re-enable the Wi-Fi feature to set-up your network again and then reconnect. Once you are already connected and your phone has acquired internet access, open messenger to see if the crashing issue has been corrected.
Fourth solution: Install pending apps updates to fix messenger that keeps crashing after iOS 13.2.
Apps developers often roll out updates after new iOS version has been released. This is to maintain the compatibility of their apps to the new software interface on iPhone devices. Normally, these apps updates will be automatically downloaded and installed on your device if your phone is set to automatic updates. Otherwise, you need to manually check for and install pending apps updates. Here is how:
- From Home, select the App Store.
- Tap your profile icon.
- Scroll to the updates section to view the list of pending apps updates. If it is not showing any available updates, drag the screen downward to refresh the page.
- Then search for messenger’s pending update, and tap Update to install.
- Otherwise, tap Update All to install all pending apps updates at once.
Once all pending apps updates have been successfully installed, restart (soft reset) your iPhone XR for proper update implementation. Then launch the messenger app and see if it works as intended.
Fifth solution: Delete and then reinstall the Messenger app on your iPhone XR device.
A completely corrupted app can no longer work as intended even when everything has been refreshed and updated. Hence, removing it from your phone’s system and giving it a clean start can possibly correct the crashing issue. Here’s what you need to do:
- From the Home screen, tap and hold any of the apps icons.
- Once the icons start to jiggle, tap the X sign on the Messenger icon to uninstall or delete the app.
- Tap Delete to confirm.
Once you have successfully deleted the app, restart (soft reset) your phone and then head to App Store to search for and install the latest version of the Messenger app.
Is Messenger app still crashing up to this point?
If none of the given solutions successfully fixed the messenger keeps crashing issue on your iOS 13.2 iPhone XR, escalate the issue to Facebook support for proper assistance. This can be a possible messenger server maintenance that coincidentally occurs after iOS 13.2 update. Otherwise, you can contact Apple Support for recommendations.
Connect with us
We are committed to helping our readers fix the problems with their phones as well as learn how to properly use their devices. So, if you have other issues, you may visit our troubleshooting page so you can check by yourself the articles we’ve already published that contain solutions to common problems. Furthermore, we do create videos to demonstrate how things are done on your phone. Visit our Youtube Channel and please subscribe to it. Thanks.