After installing the latest iOS 13 on your iPhone XR, you tried to check for and install pending apps update to make sure that these apps will be able to cope up with the new system recently implemented. But instead of completing the aimed task in no time, the apps won’t update for some reason. There are various fixes you can try to rectify this problem. Given that you have a stable internet connection, enough phone storage space, and working App Store; post-update bugs are likely to blame.
In this post, we have tackled effective ways in fixing apps that won’t update after iOS 13 on iPhone XR device. Though the problem started after installing the latest iOS version, we’ve also included other possible causes for the issue to emerge as well as their corresponding workarounds. If you are experiencing the same problem on your iPhone XR, scroll down and get started.
Before anything else, if you are looking for a solution to a different problem, then drop in on our iPhone XR Help Guides page for we have already solved some of the most common problems with this device. Try to find issues that are similar to yours and feel free to use our workarounds and solutions.
First solution: Restart your iPhone XR. (soft reset)
Minor software glitches that interfere the apps installation process can be eliminated by giving your phone a quick restart. Cache files from corrupted apps that were left running in the background while you were doing the iOS update are likewise be cleared out after the soft reset process. If you’re a new owner of an iPhone XR and haven’t done the process as of yet, here is how you do it:
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and either Volume button simultaneously for at least 3 seconds.
- Release both buttons when the Slide to Power Off command appears on your screen.
- Drag the power off slider to the right to shut down your iPhone.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Side/Power button again until it reboots completely.
Whenever your phone is ready, head back to the App Store and try to update the apps again. If the apps still won’t update after the soft reset, try the next option.
Second solution: Log out and then log in again to App Store.
The issue of being unable to update apps on your iPhone XR device can be inflicted by Apple ID that has been compromised after iOS 13. To rule this out, simply log out from your Apple ID account and then log in again. Here’s how:
- From Home, go to Settings.
- Select iTunes & App Store.
- Tap Apple ID menu and select the email you used as your Apple ID.
- Tap Sign Out from the pop-up menu.
- While you are logged out, restart (soft reset) your iPhone XR.
- Head back to Settings->iTunes & App Store->Apple ID and then select your email address. Make sure to enter your correct password and select the option to log in again.
Oftentimes, this method does the trick and a lot of users were able to download or install updates again in the App Store. But if the outcome isn’t favourable this time, you may move on to the next possible solution.
Third solution: Disable restrictions on your iPhone XR.
You were certain that you haven’t set up restrictions on your iPhone XR. But remember that the major software update has a tendency to change or alter your phone’s current settings including for restrictions. Being said, you need to check your phone’s settings and make sure that restrictions are still turned off. Otherwise, you need to disable the restrictions using these steps:
- Go to Settings and select Screen Time.
- Tap Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- Scroll to and select Contents Restrictions.
- Scroll down to and tap on Apps menu.
- Then tap Allow All Apps option. A check mark next to it should be visible once this option has been enabled.
After making the necessary changes, go back to your Home screen and then restart (soft reset) your iPhone XR. Once your phone has turned back on, head over to the App Store and check if you can now successfully install pending apps updates.
Fourth solution: Check your phone’s storage and free-up space when needed.
The moment your iPhone device runs out of memory space, you can no longer install apps update. The new versions of the apps might need more space, so there’s a need to free-up your phone storage. To address this issue, check your phone memory and delete unwanted files when needed. Here’s how:
- Launch Settings app from Home.
- Select General.
- Tap About.
- Scroll down to find Available menu. This menu will show the available space storage.
- If the available space is too low, delete unnecessary files and apps to allocate the new apps updates ready for download and install.
Fifth solution: Set Date & Time to automatic.
When using apps that need to communicate with Apple server like App Store, it is important to have correct settings on your phone especially date & time. This is because Apple performs some checks before it instigates user’s request. To rule this out, simply set Date & Time settings to Set Automatically. That way, your phone’s system will automatically change and update the date and time when moving to other locations. Here are the steps:
- Select Settings and then General.
- Tap Date & Time.
- Find Set Automatically and tap the switch next to it to enable this option.
Restart your phone after the date & time settings update, and then check if you are already able to update your apps.
Sixth solution: Reset all settings.
If you are still unable to fix the apps that won’t update issue on your iPhone XR up to this far, might as well try to restore your phone’s settings to its original values and options. This reset won’t cause data loss and therefore, creating a back-up isn’t necessary as of yet. If you wish to try it now, follow the steps:
- From your Home screen, select Settings.
- Tap General.
- Scroll down to and tap Reset.
- Then select Reset all settings option.
- Enter your device passcode if prompted.
- Then select the option to confirm the reset.
Your phone will reboot automatically once the reset is finished. The go to the App Store and try to update your apps again. If you wish to change the settings back to preference, we recommend that you do it after you have already installed the apps successfully.
Seventh solution: Restore your iPhone XR to factory default settings.
If you didn’t get a positive result doing the previous reset, wiping out everything from your phone’s memory is now your last resort. This process will not only clear out fatal system errors and tough bugs that caused to unsuccessfully install apps updates on your iPhone XR device, but also delete all your saved files. Thus, a back-up should be made beforehand. If everything is set and you’re ready to go, carefully follow these steps:
- Go to Settings from the Home screen.
- Select General.
- Scroll to and tap on Reset.
- Select Erase all content and settings option.
- When asked, enter your device passcode.
- Then select the option to confirm the full system reset.
Wait until your phone boots up again. From there, you may start setting up everything from scratch as your iPhone XR is now set up as new.
Still having issues in updating the apps?
After exhausting all the provided solutions and you are still unable to update the apps, it is now time to seek assistance from the expert. You may contact Apple over the phone or visit their local office for support. There might be something that needs to be done on their end to fix the issue which is already far beyond our control. But don’t forget to relay what have you done so far and when did the issue started so that you will be provided with the appropriate resolution.
Connect with us
We are committed to helping our readers fix the problems with their phones as well as learn how to properly use their devices. So, if you have other issues, you may visit our Help Guides page so you can check by yourself the articles we’ve already published that contain solutions to common problems. Also, we do create videos to demonstrate how things are done on your phone. Visit our Youtube Channel and please subscribe to it. Thanks.