Lagging and freezing symptoms after a new iOS implementation are among the undesirable post-update dilemmas anyone could end up dealing with. But ironically, it continues to emerge after every major software update. This symptom can be inflicted by iOS bugs, but there are still other factors that can trigger this error to become apparent. In this article, we have mapped out the fixes for iPhone XS Max that keeps lagging and freezing after iOS 13.2. Let’s see what are the triggers and how this common error can possibly be eliminated.
Troubleshooting iPhone XS Max that keeps lagging and freezing after iOS 13.2 update
When your phone starts to lag and freeze, this can sometimes be a hint that the phone memory is running low and needs to be freed up. To verify this, you can check the memory storage of your device by heading to Settings->Password & Accounts->iCloud->Storage. Under the storage menu you can view the total available storage space. If it’s running too low, you can check for apps or files that you can delete to free-up your memory storage. However, if your phone has enough memory space yet your iPhone XS Max is still lagging and freezing, let’s start troubleshooting your device and eliminate these possible triggers.
First solution: Quit all running background apps.
Running background apps usually get corrupted after iOS implementation and can negatively influence the phone’s functions and performance. If the lagging and freezing issue is tied up to these running apps, quit all of them to restore your phone’s workable state. Here is how:
- From the Home screen, swipe up from the bottom and then slightly pause in the middle until the App switcher appears.
- Swipe left or right to navigate through the app previews.
- Swipe an up preview to close it individually.
- Do the same to the rest of the running apps.
After closing all the background apps, use your phone as you normally do to check if it no longer lags or freezes. Otherwise, troubleshoot your phone further.
Second solution: Restart your iPhone XS Max. (soft reset or forced restart)
Minor software glitches and cache files from the corrupted apps may have still affected your phone’s system leaving it to improperly respond. To completely eliminate these triggers, give your phone a quick restart. It can be done either by performing a soft reset or a forced restart. Here is how you soft reset your iPhone XS Max:
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and either Volume button simultaneously until the Slide to Power Off command appears.
- Drag the power off slider to the right to turn off your phone.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Side/Power button again until the Apple logo appears.
These steps are only applicable if your phone’s screen is still properly responding to touches. Otherwise, use the hard keys to do a quick restart. Here’s how to perform a forced restart on your iOS device:
- Quickly press and then release the Volume Up button.
- Quickly press and then release the Volume Down button.
- Finally, press and hold the Side/Power button until the Apple logo appears.
Wait until your phone is completely back on. After your phone has been refreshed, navigate some of the menus and apps to see if the lagging and freezing issues have been corrected. If not, move forward.
Third solution: Check for and install pending apps update to fix iPhone XS Max that keeps lagging and freezing after iOS 13.2.
After the implementation of the new system update, apps that are running on their old versions may not be able to cope up with the current platform. Once the apps become erratic, they will start to act up and eventually will also affect your phone’s functions. If the lagging and freezing error is tied up with these out-dated apps, check for and install pending apps update to your device; especially if your phone is not set to automatically update in-apps. Here’s how:
- Launch the App Store from Home.
- Select your profile icon.
- Scroll down to the update section to see the list of pending apps updates.
- If needed, drag the screen downward to refresh the page.
- Tap the Update button to individually install the pending apps updates.
- Otherwise, tap Update All button to install the apps updates at once.
After installing all the pending apps updates, restart (soft reset) your iPhone XS Max to properly apply the recent changes made. You can launch any of these newly-updated apps and check if your phone is no longer lagging and freezing. If the problem persists, try the next solution.
Fourth solution: Reset all settings to fix iPhone XS Max that keeps lagging and freezing after iOS 13.2.
The automatic alteration of the phone’s settings after the iOS 13.2 implementation might have caused conflict and triggered the phone to lag and freeze. Should this be the underlying cause, revert the settings configuration to default. Here’s how:
- From Home, open the Settings app.
- Select General.
- Scroll down to and tap Reset.
- Select Reset all settings option.
- If prompted, enter your device passcode and then continue.
- Then select the option to confirm all settings reset.
Your phone will reboot automatically after the reset. Thus, default values and options will be restored. Any erratic settings and the associated symptoms should be cleared out by the process. Then check if your phone is no longer lagging or freezing.
Fifth solution: Perform a factory reset on your iPhone XS Max.
If you are still unable to fix the lagging and freezing issue on your device, the last option you can try is to restore your phone to factory default settings. Tough bugs and complex errors may have triggered the error to become persistent leaving you no choice but to take this drastic move— to wipe everything from your phone’s memory. Being that said, you need to back-up your important files beforehand. Once critical files had been secured, proceed to do a factory reset using these steps:
- From Home, go to Settings.
- Select General.
- Scroll to and tap Reset.
- Select Erase all content and settings option.
- Enter your device passcode when asked to continue.
- Then select the option to confirm factory reset.
Alternatively, you can also utilize iTunes to restore your phone to factory default. This option can be ideal when your phone screen is freezing and is no longer responding to touches. To get started, you need to secure a Mac or Windows computer with the latest iTunes software installed. Then connect your phone using the USB or lightning cable to the computer and then follow these steps:
- Launch iTunes on your computer.
- Wait until iTunes recognizes your device. Once it does, select your iPhone’s name and navigate through the Summary section.
- Click the Restore [iPhone] option.
- Then follow the onscreen prompts to confirm the process.
iTunes will start to wipe out everything from your phone’s memory, and then start installing the latest iOS version on your device. Once you phone has been restored to factory default settings, you can unplug your phone from the computer and start setting up your phone as new again.
Is your iPhone XS Max still lagging and freezing?
Software related errors and iOS bugs can be so stubborn that neither of the given solutions fixes the lagging and freezing up to this point. If you are still willing to correct the problem on your end, you can carry out the recovery mode restore and DFU mode restore via iTunes as your last resort. If none of the options work, then you need to escalate the issue to Apple Support or your network provider for proper phone assessment and recommendations.
We hope that we are able to help you fix the lagging and freezing issue on your iPhone XS Max device. If you think this article is useful, spread the news with your friends who might need the same assistance. Thank you for reading!