Having a phone that is not responding to touches after iOS 13.2.3 update is very irritating. This has been one of the very disappointing end-results iOS update offers and a lot of iOS users had struggled to address this screen issue on their end. Unresponsive screen error can be associated to software malfunction or hardware damage. But often times, software-related errors are the underlying cause given that the problem becomes apparent after an iOS update. In this post, we have mapped out possible solutions to address this screen issue on your device. So before you consider dropping by at your nearest Apple office, try the workarounds that we have outlined below.
Troubleshooting an iPhone XS Max that’s not responding after iOS 13.2.3
The troubleshooting procedures we have mapped out below are proven effective in fixing screen issues like iOS device not responding caused by misconfigured settings, iOS bugs, and possible rogue apps. Read further.
First solution: Perform a force restart to fix iPhone XS Max that is not responding after iOS 13.2.3
Out-dated apps are most likely to act weird after new system implementation. Hence, these apps can also trigger the phone to become unresponsive. To rule this out, simply perform a force restart. Here is how:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Side/Power button until the Apple logo appears.
This restart will also force closed the running apps in the background which might have gone rogue after the iOS update and triggered the phone’s system to collapse. Once you have successfully passed through the Apple logo screen, manage your phone’s settings and install pending apps updates to prevent other symptoms to occur.
Reset all settings. Your phone settings are prone to change after iOS update. When this happens, system conflict is likely to emerge. Thus, resulting to phone functions failure including screen issues. To rule this out, delete all the customized settings and possible erratic values or options by performing all settings reset on your iOS device. This reset doesn’t cause in a complete data loss, so there is no need for you to create a back-up for the critical files beforehand. Here’s how you do it:
- Go to Settings from Home.
- Select General.
- Scroll down to and select Reset.
- Then select Reset all settings from the given options.
- Enter your device passcode when asked to continue.
- Lastly, select the option to confirm all settings reset.
Your phone will reboot automatically after the process and restores the phone settings to default. By then, you can configure your phone’s settings according to your preference. If possible, manage the 3D Touch to ensure that your phone will respond to touches accordingly.
- To do so, simply head to Settings->General->Accessibility->3D Touch and then select the sensitivity level by dragging the slider from Light, Medium, and Firm.
After making some changes, you may restart (soft reset) your phone again for proper update implementation.
Install apps updates. The not responding or unresponsive screen issue on your device may have rooted from the in-apps that are running on their out-dated versions. These apps could have gone rogue and developed major data corruption. As a result, the phone’s system becomes unresponsive. With that being said, it is now ideal to check for and install pending apps updates on your device. That way, you will be able to redeem your phone’s workable state. Follow these steps:
- Launch the App Store from Home.
- Select your Profile icon.
- Scroll down to the updates section to view the list of pending apps updates. Drag the screen downward to refresh the page, if necessary.
- Then select Update All to install all pending apps updates at once.
After installing all the pending apps updates, restart (soft reset) your iPhone XS Max. Then check if the screen issue is already fixed. If your phone screen continues to be unresponsive, troubleshoot your iPhone XS Max further.
Second solution: Perform recovery mode restore via iTunes to fix iPhone XS Max that is not responding after iOS 13.2.3
Bad update can lead to iOS damaged, and one of the effective ways in repairing an iOS is through recovery mode restore. iTunes will help you restore and repair your phone’s software. If you want to give this a shot, you need to have either a Mac or Windows computer with the latest iTunes version installed. Then follow these steps:
- Using the supplied USB cable or lightning cable, connect your iPhone XS Max to the computer.
- Then press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Side/Power button. Never release the Power button even when the Apple logo appears. Doing so will put your phone in a recovery mode.
- Once the Connect to iTunes message appears, release the Side/Power button.
- iTunes will then recognize your iPhone XS Max and prompts you options to either Update or Restore.
- Select Restore option for iTunes to wipe everything from your phone system and then restore the iOS.
- Otherwise, select the Update option. Doing so will command iTunes to reinstall the latest iOS without wiping all the content saved in your phone’s internal memory.
Make sure not to unplug your phone from the computer unless a confirmation message has appeared revealing that the process has already been completed. Then, press and hold the Side/Power button until the Connect to iTunes logo disappears. By then, your phone will reboot automatically. If this solution didn’t fix the not responding issue on your iPhone XS Max device, troubleshoot your phone further. See the next solution below.
Third solution: Perform a DFU restore via iTunes.
If your iPhone XS Max is still not responding, might as well try to do Device Firmware Update or DFU mode restore in which iTunes will sync to your phone’s operating system to repair and restore it, even without having the boot loader activated. This way, major system errors and complex iOS bugs that invade your phone’s system will be cleared out. To perform DFU mode restore, you also need to have either a Mac or Windows computer with the latest iTunes software installed. Then connect your phone to the computer using the cable lightning or the Apple supplied USB cable and perform the following steps:
- Quickly press and release the Volume Up button.
- Quickly press and release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and wait until the screen becomes black.
- Once the screen turns black, keep holding down Side/Power button then press and hold the Volume Down button.
- After at least 5 seconds, release the Side/Power button but continue holding down the Volume Down button until iTunes recognizes your iPhone device.
- Once your iPhone appears on iTunes, release the Volume Down button as your iPhone has already entered the DFU state.
- Follow the onscreen prompts for iTunes to instigate the full system restore on your iOS device.
Force restart your iPhone XS Max once the process has been completed to exit from the DFU mode screen.
Is your iPhone XS Max still not responding?
The above mentioned solutions are deemed to be effective in fixing errors including screen issue that is inflicted by major system errors and tough bugs. If the unresponsive screen problem persists after executing these tweaks, it is possible that your phone has endured hardware damage and it’s just that the symptoms manifested after the iOS update. Being said, you need to visit your nearest local office for a possible repair or contact Apple Support for further assistance and recommendations.