iPhone X black screen of death issue can be attributed by system glitches and hardware damage. This screen issue is unpreventable especially with the presence of various triggers. But as long as it is software-related, the black screen issue is still rectifiable in your end.
If you are certain that your iPhone X has not been exposed to liquid or physical damage, you can refer to this post and hopefully be able to fix this iOS black screen of death problem.
Troubleshooting iPhone X black screen of death after iOS 13.3
Listed below are some applicable solutions that you can try to fix iPhone X black screen of death issue. Normally, system crashes are deemed to be the underlying cause. However, if the screen problem occurs after installing the latest iOS 13.3 update, then iOS bug is most likely to blame. Whether the possible trigger is system crashes or iOS bug, you can still be able to clear out these factors using the steps we have outlined below.
Before you start troubleshooting your iPhone X device, make sure that it has ample battery life. Since you can’t check the status of your iPhone battery meter as the screen displays nothing but black, you can charge your iOS device for at least 15-20 minutes. After the said time, start troubleshooting your iPhone X device.
First solution: Perform hard reboot (force restart) to fix iPhone X black screen of death after iOS 13.3.
Since your iPhone X screen is no longer responding to tap and swipe commands, the only way to give it a clean start is by performing a hard reboot or commonly known as a force restart. This method eliminates minor software glitches that might have triggered your iPhone’s boot up system to act up. Thus, clearing out cache files from your iPhone’s internal memory and refreshing its operating system. To carry this out, follow these steps:
- Press and then quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and then quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and release one the Apple logo appears on the screen.
Wait until your iPhone X boots up completely. If you were able to pass through the Apple logo, navigate your iPhone to make sure that everything is working fine. However, if the iPhone X blank screen of death problem still persists after performing a hard reboot or force restart, move on to the next solution.
Second solution: Carry out recovery mode restore via iTunes to fix iPhone X black screen of death after iOS 13.3.
Restoring your iPhone to its factory default settings can be considered as an option to fix complicated iOS issues like iPhone X black screen of death. Doing so will dump out major software errors and tough bugs affecting your iPhone’s boot up system. Since this method will wipe out everything from your iPhone X memory, you need to back-up your iOS device with either iCloud or iTunes beforehand. This option can be carried out through your phone’s menu settings or through iTunes. But since your iOS screen display is unresponsive, you can restore your iPhone X via iTunes. You need to have either a Mac or Windows computer with the latest iTunes version installed to fulfill this procedure. If you are ready to do a recovery mode restore in your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Connect your iPhone X to the computer using the Apple-supplied USB or lightning cable.
- Then launch iTunes on your computer and wait until it recognizes your iPhone X device.
- Once you see your iPhone name on iTunes, quickly press and release the Volume Up button.
- Then quickly press and release the Volume Down button.
- When Connect to iTunes command appears on your iPhone screen, press and hold the Side/Power button and keep pressing and holding the button when the Apple logo appear.
- Release the Side or Power button when the Connect to iTunes logo appears as this means that you’ve already entered recovery mode.
- Once you’ve entered the recovery state, Update or Restore options will appear.
- Select Restore option to download and reinstall iOS without causing a complete data loss.
Wait until iTunes completely reinstalled the latest iOS update. Don’t remove the cable connector from the computer until a successful confirmation appears. It may take at least 15 minutes to complete the process. Once the recovery mode restore is done, check if the black screen of death issue on your iPhone X device has been corrected. In the event that your iPhone X screen is still dead or stuck on black screen of death, you need a more-advanced solution to address this black screen display issue.
Third solution: Perform DFU mode restore to fix iPhone X.
If the recovery mode restore fails to fix iPhone X black screen of death issue, a more-advanced solution is necessary. And DFU restore or also known as Device Firmware Update/Upgrade is an option. Your iPhone’s operating system could have been totally corrupted and therefore you can’t pass through the boot-up wizard even after performing the possible solutions provided above. In this case, DFU mode is an ideal fix for black screen of death problem in your iOS device. This method should only be utilized if your iPhone has no physical or liquid damage. Or else, you will end up having unusable iOS device. Given that your iPhone X is having no physical damage and is only inflicted by complex iOS bug and complex system errors, you can carry out DFU mode restore using these steps:
- Connect your iPhone X to the computer using the supplied USB or Lightning cable.
- Then press and hold the Side/Power button for about 3 seconds.
- Keep holding down the Side/Power button, then press and hold the Volume Down button for at least 10 seconds.
- If the Apple logo didn’t appear, release the Side/Power button but continue to hold the Volume Down button for another 5 seconds.
- You’ll know that you have successfully entered DFU state when the screen remains black. Observe the screen of your computer and wait until the message “iTunes has detected your iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes” appears. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the process.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Side or Power button until the Apple logo appears.
Then wait until your iPhone X boots up completely.
What to do next if black screen of death issue persists?
If your iPhone X is still stuck on blank screen of death up to this point, you may need to contact Apple Support for further assistance and recommendations. There might be alternative solutions to address this iPhone X sudden blanks screen or black screen or death issue that Apple representatives can provide. Or you can also drop by to your nearest local office to have Apple technician make some assessment with your iPhone X device as the black screen of death issue you are having with your iPhone X could be due to physical damage even though the problem started after installing the iOS 13.3 update.
Connect with us
We are committed to helping our readers fix the problems with their phones as well as learn how to properly use their devices. So, if you have other issues, you may visit our Help Guides page so you can check by yourself the articles we’ve already published that contain solutions to common problems. Also, we do create videos to demonstrate how things are done on your phone. Visit our Youtube Channel and please subscribe to it. Thanks.