A complete guide on how to backup and restore your Samsung Galaxy S4, Note 3 or older. For a Samsung galaxy S5 or newer, click here.
If you are having issues with your Samsung smartphone, a good thing to try is a full backup and restore of the device as it will reset all the software on your phone.
Important: You will need a computer for this procedure.
First you will need to install Samsung Kies 3 from the following link: Kies Download
Once you have Kies downloaded, plug your Samsung phone into your computer using your USB charging wire then follow the steps below.
Backing up your Data:
- Open Kies 3 and click the Back up/Restore tab.
- Click Data backup.
- Mark the checkbox next to the content you want to back up. You can select all content by marking the checkbox next to Select all items. Click Backup.
- Click Complete when the backup is finished.
- Once Backup is complete, perform the restore.
Restoring your Data:
- Open Kies and click the Back up/Restore tab.
- If necessary, click Restore data.
- Select the backup file to restore to the device from the drop-down box. If you cannot find the restore file in the drop-down box, scroll to the bottom, click Find file, and select the file.
- Mark the content you want to restore from the backup file, and click Restore.
- Click Complete when the restore is finished.
Your device is now successfully restored.