FaceID that’s not working on the iPhone XR is among the various post-update errors reported after installing the latest iOS 13.3 update. Read on and check how you can possibly address this issue.
Face ID allows users to unlock iPhone device, access third-party apps, and authenticate App Store and iTunes purchases without entering a device passcode, but by simply looking at the phone’s TrueDepth (front) camera. This amazing feature is only available to the latest iPhones versions from iPhone X up to Apple’s latest flagship–iPhone 11. To be able to take advantage of this feature, your iPhone device must be running with the latest iOS version and of course, Face ID is properly set-up.
Apple recently rolled out iOS 13.3 update which offers fix patches for current iOS issues and provides additional iOS features. However, new errors have also been reported by iOS users that they’ve been introduced with and one of which is the Face ID that is not working. In this post, we have lined-up set of troubleshooting procedures to fix Face ID that has stopped working after the new system implementation. If you are among the iPhone XR users who are having this kind of issue, better read this article further and learn how to deal with the problem on your end.
Fixing iPhone XR Face ID not working after iOS 13.3 update
There are things you need to consider when using Face ID on your iPhone device. Since you will be using your iPhone’s front camera, you need to ensure that your TrueDepth camera is free of dirt or debris, is not covered with a phone case or screen protector, and a distance of approximately 10-20 inches (from the user’s face to the front camera). This is because your face should register clearly on the front camera or else, your image won’t be recognized.
You also need to take note that Face ID won’t work as intended when your iPhone XR device has just been turned on, it has not been unlocked for over 48 hours, your iOS device has not been unlocked using the device passcode for exact 6 and a half days, Face ID has not unlock your device for the last 4 hours, you’ve unsuccessfully unlock your iPhone using Face ID more than 5 times, and after you have initiated an SOS emergency calls on your device. In addition, Face ID will not work if your iPhone’s battery life is below 10%.
In the event that Face ID is still not working even if the aforementioned requisites are met, then you might be dealing with various system glitches and iOS bug that are affecting your iPhone’s Face ID system. To rule out software-related factors, follow the potential solutions we have listed below.
First solution: Restart your iPhone XR to fix Face ID that is not working after iOS 13.3 update.
Restarting your iPhone XR will eliminate minor system glitches that hinder Face ID to work properly. This is deemed to be the simplest yet effective solution to fix iOS issues including Face ID that has stopped working. If you wish to give this a try on your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the Side or Power button and either Volume button simultaneously for a few seconds.
- Release both buttons when the Slide to Power Off command appears on your iPhone XR screen.
- Drag the power off slider to the right to shut down your iPhone XR.
- Then after at least 30 seconds, press and hold the Side or Power button again and release when the Apple logo appears.
Alternatively, you can also give your iPhone XR a quick and clean start by doing a force restart. This method is considered a better option especially if your phone’s screen display is not properly responding to tap and swipe commands. Nevertheless, cache files from possible corrupted apps that are saved in your phone’s memory will be dumped out after the process. Thus, the Face ID not working issue should be remedied using this method if the problem is tied to these junk files. To force restart your iPhone XR, here are the steps:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Finally, press and hold the Side/Power button until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
Wait until your iPhone XR boots up completely. Then try unlocking your iPhone using Face ID to check if the issue has been rectified. If not, move on to the next troubleshooting guide.
Second solution: Manage Face ID settings on your iPhone XR.
It is also possible that Face ID has been disabled automatically after the new iOS version was implemented. If this is the underlying cause for Face ID to stop working, enabling the feature again will surely fix the problem. To manage Face ID feature on your iPhone XR, check out the steps below:
- Launch the Settings app from Home.
- Select Face ID and Passcode.
- Then check all options under USE Face ID FOR section and ensure that the switch next to each option is enabled. Otherwise, toggle switches for all of the options to turn Face ID off shortly and then on again.
After making necessary changes, try to launch an app or unlock your iPhone XR device using Face ID.
Third solution: Reset Face ID and then set up again.
If you still fail to fix Face ID not working issue on your iPhone XR, we recommend you to delete your Face ID and set up a new one. To do so, follow these steps:
- From the Home screen, go to Settings.
- Then select Face ID and Passcode.
- Scroll down to and tap on Reset Face ID to remove or delete previously stored IDs.
After deleting the ID’s, restart (soft reset) your iPhone XR to refresh its system. Then set up Face ID again using these steps:
- Go to Settings, and then select Face ID & Passcode.
- Enter your device passcode when prompted.
- Then tap on Set Up Face ID.
- Hold your iPhone in portrait orientation and then position your device in front of the camera.
- Then tap on Get Started and position your face inside the frame and slowly move your head to complete the circle for face scanning and then tap Continue.
- Then slowly move your head again to complete the circle for the second time and then tap Done.
Don’t forget to check if Face ID is already working again afterwards.
Fourth solution: Restore iPhone XR to factory default settings to fix Face ID that is not working after iOS 13.3 update.
Tough bugs and major software glitches can’t be dealt with using the basics. Thus, a more-advanced solution is need to fix Face ID being inflicted by these factors. The process will not only clear out these bugs and glitches but also wipe out every important file saved on your phone’s internal memory. Therefore, a creating is back-up with iTunes or iClouds is necessary. Once all your important files are taken care off, you can perform the master or factory reset using these steps:
- Open the Settings app from Home.
- Then tap on General.
- Scroll to and tap on Reset.
- Then select Erase all content & settings from the given options.
- Enter your device passcode to continue.
- Then select the option to confirm factory reset on your iPhone XR device.
Wait until your iPhone XR has completely been restored to factory default settings and follow the onscreen prompts to set the phone as new again. You also need to set up Face ID again.
Seek help from the expert
If you fail to fix the Face ID not working problem on your iPhone XR using the troubleshooting procedures we have provided above, you can contact Apple Support to escalate the issue. Further assistance and recommendations should be provided by them, so make sure to provide the detailed information to when the problem started and the things you did in an attempt to fix the Face ID issue on your end.