Just recently, Apple has pushed a new update to address the alarming Group FaceTime bug. The fix patch was brought by the iOS 12.1.4 update. But just like the prior iOS releases, the new update also brings a new set of minor flaws. Early reports have it that some iPhone users ended up facing power issues, particularly on rapid battery draining. Read on to find out what to do if you too will end up having the same battery draining issue on your iPhone XR after updating to iOS 12.1.4.
First solution: Restart your iPhone XR to fix battery draining issue.
Restarting the device after installing apps and software updates is highly recommended as it will help prevent adverse post-update symptoms. If you haven’t restarted your phone yet, then you should consider this as your first workaround. You may opt to carry out a soft reset or force restart. To soft reset your iPhone XR, refer to these steps:
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and either Volume buttons simultaneously for a few seconds.
- Release the buttons when the Slide to Power Off command appears and then drag the power off slider to the right.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Power/Side button again until the phone reboots.
You can also perform a forced restart to abruptly clear all background apps and services that might have used up a significant amount of power from your iPhone. Here’s how it’s done:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Then, press and hold the Power/Side button and then release when the iPhone reboots.
Both these restart methods won’t affect saved data on the phone memory, so neither of these causes permanent data loss.
Posts you might like
Second solution: Uninstall bad apps to fix iPhone XR with battery that drains so fast after iOS update.
Apps that often go rogue from an iOS update are usually those that aren’t up-to-date or obsolete. To determine which apps are acting up and draining your iPhone battery, check the battery usage details on your device. You can access this information by heading to the battery section. Here’s how to get there:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap on Battery.
- Wait for a few seconds for the Battery Usage details to populate.
- To view the breakdown of foreground and background apps, tap on the Show Detailed Usage button.
- To get a broader look at battery usage over time, tap on Last 10 Days or Last 24 hours, if you want to view the first battery usage in the last 24 hours.
You can also see a breakdown of how much battery usage by each app on your iPhone XR.
- To do this, navigate to the Battery Usage By App section then tap on Show Activity.
If you see any apps with unusual power consumption, then you have to do something to manage that app. You can try updating the application first, if an update is available. Otherwise, consider removing that app from your phone.
Third solution: Install pending app updates.
Apps that go rogue from an update and caused battery draining symptoms are usually the ones that aren’t up-to-date. Chances are that these apps are no longer supported by the latest iOS platform and so they’re starting to glitch or unable to work properly. To fix this problem, updating apps on your iPhone XR is recommended. Here’s how:
- From the Home screen, tap App Store.
- From the App Store main screen, scroll down to the bottom and then tap on the Updates tab. A list of all apps with pending updates will then appear.
- Tap the Update button next to the name of the app to update individual apps.
- If multiple app updates are available, then you can just tap on the Update All button on the top-right of the screen to install all app updates simultaneously.
Once you’re done installing app updates, restart your iPhone to apply the new changes and likewise to refresh your apps.
Fourth solution: Reset all settings.
If the new update overrides your iPhone settings, there is a tendency that it had messed up some of your customized options and eventually triggers the battery draining symptom. To clear this out, reset all settings on your iPhone XR to wipe all customized options including the errors produced by any iOS settings override. Here’s how to do this:
- From your Home screen, tap on Settings.
- Select General.
- Scroll down to and then tap on Reset.
- Select the option to Reset all settings.
- If prompted, enter your passcode then follow the onscreen instructions to confirm all settings reset.
After the reset, wait for your iPhone to restart and then loads the default options and original configuration. By then you can start enabling features that you want to use on your phone again.
Fifth solution: Restore your iPhone XR through iTunes.
Performing iOS restore is often needed to deal with major system problems. An indication that the phone is going through some major system issues is a recurring symptom. Thus if your iPhone XR battery continues to drain so fast after applying the previous solutions, this could denote a fatal system error to fix. And this is where a system restore is needed. If you have a computer with the latest iTunes version installed, then you can use that to perform a recovery mode restore on your iPhone XR. To get started, plug your iPhone XR in to the computer using the supplied USB cable or Lightning cable. Once you’re device is connected, proceed with these steps to enter recovery mode and restore iOS through iTunes:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Next, press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Then, press and hold the Side/Power button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen. This means that your iPhone has entered recovery mode.
- When you see the option to Update or Restore, choose Update. Doing so will prompt iTunes to check for and download the latest software for your device. The download usually takes 15 minutes (utmost). If download process exceeds 15 minutes and your device exits recovery mode, then you will need to perform the above steps to enter recovery mode again.
Another iOS restore method you can try is the so-called DFU mode restore. It is the most in-depth type of system restore done on an iPhone. This will allow you to run your device in a state that’s still able to communicate with iTunes even without activating the boot loader. Corrupted iOS are often remedied by performing this restore process. But you have to note also that there’s a risk of having a totally bricked iPhone from an unsuccessful DFU mode restore.
You may have to consider taking your device to the nearest Apple service center if none of the prior methods is able to solve the problem. There is a higher chance that hardware damage is present and that therefore needs to be properly addressed by an Apple technician. If your device is still under warranty, then you should contact your iPhone provider/carrier to report the problem and avail for warranty instead.
Or you can also escalate the problem straight to Apple Support for official recommendations. The fact that the problem instigated from an update makes it more likely a priority issue for Apple to fix.
I hope that we’ve been able to help you fix the problem with your device. We would appreciate it if you helped us spread the word so please share this post if you found it helpful. Thank you so much for reading!