It doesn’t always follow that your phone will work smoothly after the iOS update. Firmware updates can also affect your phone’s working state in a negative way. There are instances that the latest OS version automatically overrides your phone’s current settings which can cause conflict to either the phone or apps system. There is also a big possibility that out-dated apps will start to act up after the update as their system can’t cope up with the recently implemented iOS.
In this article, we have listed some of the easy-to-do steps that can be carried out when YouTube keeps crashing after iOS 13 on iPhone XS. Before you start troubleshooting your iPhone, we strongly recommend that you check your internet connection and make sure that it isn’t the underlying cause for the YouTube app not to work as intended. Once you have verified that your phone has a stable internet connection, you may start troubleshooting your device.
Before anything else, if you are looking for a solution to a different problem, then drop in on our iPhone XS Help Guides page for we have already solved some of the most common problems with this device. Try to find issues that are similar to yours and feel free to use our workarounds and solutions.
First solution: Reboot (soft reset) your iPhone XS.
It is recommended to do a phone restart (soft reset) when necessary changes are made like iOS update. This is to ensure that recent update will be implemented properly. Aside from that, restarting your phone can also clear out minor software glitches that may have caused the YouTube app to keep crashing after the iOS update. To get this done, follow the steps below:
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and either Volume buttons simultaneously then release both buttons once the Slide to Power off command appears.
- Drag the power off slider to the right to completely turn off your phone.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Side/Power button again until the Apple logo appears.
Cache files saved on your phone’s internal memory should be cleared out, refreshing your phone’s operating system. Wait until your phone completely turns back on and then open the YouTube app again to see if it is no longer crashing. If the problem persists, move on to the next solution.
Second solution: Quit YouTube and other background apps.
YouTube app can get corrupted or suspended when left running in the background during the iOS update. And this case can likely to be fixed by simply closing the app. Here is how it’s done:
- Swipe up from the bottom to the middle of your screen and pause until the App Switcher appears.
- Swipe left or right to find YouTube app from the app previews.
- Press and hold the YouTube app preview then tap the minus (-) icon to close the app.
- If there are multiple running apps in the background, close all of them to prevent them from getting corrupted, as well as from causing conflict with YouTube app in the future.
Once you have completely closed all the running apps, launch the YouTube app. If it still keeps crashing, continue and try to perform the next solution.
Third solution: Check for and install YouTube app’s latest version.
As explained earlier, out-dated apps will tend to act up after an iOS update. If you have not set-up YouTube app to automatic update, chances are there could be important updates that were not implemented and trigger YouTube app to malfunction. Being said, it is also important to update the app to its latest version available. To manually check for and install the latest version of the YouTube app, here are the steps:
- From Home, open the App Store.
- Tap your Profile icon on the top-left corner of your screen.
- Scroll down to the Pending Updates section to view the list of recent apps updates. If you don’t see the Pending Updates section, this means that there are no updates available for your apps.
- Find the YouTube app update, then tap the Update button next to it.
- If there are multiple apps updates available, tap Update All to download and install all the apps updates at once.
- Tap the Recently Updated section to check the recently installed updates.
Reboot (soft reset) your iPhone XS after you have successfully installed the pending apps updates. Doing so will ensure that all the updates will be applied properly. Then launch YouTube app to see if the trick fixed the issue. If YouTube still keeps crashing, move forward to the next solution.
Fourth solution: Reset network settings on your iPhone XS.
Your phone’s current network configurations can be automatically overridden after an iOS update. If you are experiencing network-related issues like YouTube keeps on crashing after updating your iOS, performing a network settings reset can also help fix the problem. Here is how it’s done:
- From Home, go to Settings.
- Select General.
- Scroll down to and tap on Reset.
- Then select Reset network settings from the options.
- If prompted, enter your device passcode to continue.
- Then select the option to confirm the network settings reset.
Your iPhone XS will automatically reboot after the reset and loads the default network options and values. Therefore, it is needed for you to set up your Wi-Fi again to reconnect as all saved connections are deleted after the reset. Incorrect network configurations that may have triggered YouTube to malfunction should then be ruled out.
Fifth solution: Delete and reinstall YouTube app on your iPhone XS.
If you’ve already tried the given solutions above and YouTube still keeps crashing, there is a great possibility that the app has been totally corrupted. In this state, we now need to remove the app from your phone’s system and reinstall the latest version of the app afterwards. Here’s how you do it:
- From Home, go to Settings.
- Select General.
- Tap iPhone Storage.
- Search for the YouTube app from the list.
- Then tap Delete App option.
- If prompted, tap Delete to confirm the deletion of the app.
- Reboot (soft reset) your iPhone XS after you have successfully deleted the YouTube app.
- Then go to the App Store and search for the latest version of the YouTube app then follow the onscreen instructions to download and install.
Reboot (soft reset) your phone again after you have successfully installed the app to make sure that the recent changes is properly applied. Doing so will also refresh your phone’s operating system and eliminate cache files from corrupted apps that were saved on your iPhone’s internal memory.
Connect with us
We are committed to helping our readers fix the problems with their phones as well as learn how to properly use their devices. So, if you have other issues, you may visit our Help Guides page so you can check by yourself the articles we’ve already published that contain solutions to common problems. Also, we do create videos to demonstrate how things are done on your phone. Visit our Youtube Channel and please subscribe to it. Thanks.