If you have an iPhone XS Max that Youtube video won’t play, try checking your internet speed connection. You can also close and re-open the app or uninstall then reinstall it to see if it will fix the issue. If videos still won’t play on your Youtube, read further.
When it comes to free online entertainment, YouTube is the most popular and widely used platform. You can watch YouTube videos through the browser or download the app to play YouTube videos in app view.
In case you’re having trouble playing YouTube videos on your iPhone XS Max, I’ve mapped out a few helpful solutions for you to try on. Read on to learn why you can’t play YouTube videos on your iPhone.
Before anything else, if you are looking for a solution to a different problem, then drop in on our iPhone XS Max Help Guides page for we have already solved some of the most common problems with this device. Try to find issues that are similar with yours and feel free to use our workarounds and solutions.
Troubleshooting iPhone XS Max that youtube video won’t play
To be honest, this problem happens more often than you think but most of the time, it would be fixed after a few minutes. That’s because the problem could either be due to a connection issue or there’s a little problem with the Youtube servers.
But don’t worry, if the problem persists a little longer, here are the things you can do to make Youtube video streaming work again…
First solution: Toggle your Wi-Fi internet off and on again.
Apps like YouTube need excellent and stable Wi-Fi internet connection to function smoothly. Thus, unable to play videos on the said app may be an indication that you are not getting a good internet connection on your phone.
To solve the problem, restarting your phone’s Wi-Fi internet can be deemed among the first options. Here’s how it’s done:
- From the Home screen, go to Settings.
- Select the Wi-Fi menu.
- Toggle the Wi-Fi switch to turn the feature OFF.
- Then restart (soft reset) your iPhone XS Max.
- Once it’s back on, head back to Settings and select Wi-Fi menu.
- Toggle the switch to turn the Wi-Fi ON again.
Another way to refresh your iPhone’s wireless connections is by toggling the Airplane Mode switch on and off. Turning the Airplane mode ON simultaneously disables all wireless radios on your phone, refreshes wireless features and eliminates minor issues that may have caused the YouTube app to malfunction.
To do this, simply head over to Settings-> Airplane menu. Then toggle the Airplane mode switch to turn it ON. After a few seconds, toggle the switch to turn Airplane mode OFF again.
Allow your phone to reconnect to Wi-Fi and then retry playing YouTube videos to see if the problem is fixed. If videos still won’t play, then move on and try the next applicable solutions.
ALSO READ: How to fix an iPhone XS Max with no sound
Second solution: Clear the cached files and then restart your iPhone XS Max.
Your iPhone may also not be able to play videos on YouTube when random system glitches are transpiring. Hence, these are the next factors that you should eliminate.
If you are using the Safari browser to access and play YouTube videos, clearing the browser app’s cache can potentially fix the problem.
Follow these steps to delete Safari app cache and data:
- From the Home screen, tap the Settings app.
- Select the Safari menu.
- Tap Clear History and Website Data option to delete your browsing history, cache, and cookies.
- Then tap Clear History and Data to confirm the action.
After this process, restart (soft reset) your iPhone and check if the problem has been resolved.
Meanwhile, if you are using YouTube app when trying to play YT videos but it doesn’t work, clearing the app’s cache is recommended. To get this done, you will need to delete and reinstall YouTube on your iPhone XS Max.
Follow these steps to offload or delete YouTube app as a way of clearing the app’s cache and temporary data:
- Tap the Settings app from the Home screen.
- ·Select General.
- Scroll down to and tap Storage & iCloud Usage.
- Then select Manage Storage.
- Locate and tap the YouTube app. Then select Delete App option.
- A confirmation box will pop up, select Delete App to confirm.
Once you have successfully deleted the YouTube app, restart your iPhone. Then head over to App Store and download the YouTube app again.
Third solution: Update your YouTube app to its latest version.
Any outdated app running on your phone is vulnerable to malwares and bugs. If you didn’t configure your third-party apps to auto-update, chances are that your YouTube app isn’t updated and therefore bugs and malware infiltrated.
As a result, the app is no longer working as intended. To fix this, you can manually update the app on your iPhone instead. To check and install latest app updates, follow these steps:
- From the Home screen, open the App Store.
- Then navigate the Updates section. You will then be prompted with pending app updates.
- Search through list and tap YouTube.
- Then tap the Update button next to it to install pending updates for YouTube app.
- Otherwise, tap the Update All button on the upper right side of your screen if there are multiple app updates available. Doing so will simultaneously install all pending app updates on your phone.
After the updates are successfully installed, restart (soft reset) your iPhone. Then try to play videos on your YouTube app to see if it is already working.
Fourth solution: Uninstall and reinstall the YouTube app on your iPhone XS Max.
This is also another option to fixing YouTube being not able to play videos on your phone. This is often needed if the problem is with the YouTube app that gets corrupted and is no longer working.
To fix the app, the corrupted version has to be deleted so you can install the latest version of the YouTube app for your phone. Here is how you uninstall and reinstall the app on your iPhone:
- On your Home screen, tap and hold on an app icon until the icons starts to jiggle.
- On the YouTube app icon, tap the X sign.
- After reading the warning prompts, select Delete to confirm the deletion of the YouTube app.
- Then restart (soft reset) your iPhone XS Max.
- Once the phone is back on, open the App Store.
- Search through and select the latest version of the YouTube app.
- Tap the Cloud icon or the Get button next to YouTube app to download and install the said app.
Follow the onscreen guide to complete the process and enter your Apple ID password when prompted.
After the installation process, reboot your phone and then load the YouTube app again to see if you are now able to play Youtube videos in it.
Fifth solution: Reset all settings on your iPhone XS Max.
Misconfigured phone settings could also be the main reason as to why the YouTube app is unable to play videos. Thus, reverting the phone’s settings to default values and options will remove any enabled restrictions that might have affected the YouTube app.
This process won’t result to any data loss and won’t affect any saved files on your phone’s internal memory. Therefore, backing up your phone with iCloud or iTunes won’t be necessary. Here’s how you do it:
- From the Home screen, go to Settings.
- Select General.
- Scroll down to and tap Reset.
- Then select the Reset all settings option.
- Enter your device passcode when prompted.
- And then tap the option to confirm the settings reset.
Your iPhone will then automatically reboot and loads the default phone’s settings once it’s back on. When your phone is completely back on, enable the features that you want to use on your iPhone like Wi-Fi. Then, open the YouTube app and check if it is the problem has been fixed.
Still can’t play YouTube videos on your iPhone XS Max?
You may opt to report the problem to Google’s YouTube support so they can help you further. There might be some advanced settings that need to be configured from within the app. If the problem only occurs when playing certain videos from a YouTube channel, then that could be just an isolated problem with that video or channel.
In that case, you can report the problem to the video owner or channel administrator so they can look into it and apply necessary fixes.
Connect with us
We are committed to helping our readers fix the problems with their phones as well as learn how to properly use their devices. So, if you have other issues, you may visit our Help Guides page so you can check by yourself the articles we’ve already published that contain solutions to common problems.
Also, we do create videos to demonstrate how things are done on your phone. Visit our Youtube Channel and please subscribe to it. Thanks.
- How to fix Apple iPhone XS Max that won’t turn on and unresponsive?
- How to fix Caller ID that is not working properly on your Apple iPhone XS Max
- How to fix Visual Voicemail that is not working on your Apple iPhone XS Max