Have you ever wondered why some of your phone apps stopped working after upgrading your iOS to its latest version? Often times, out-dated apps tend to act up after an iOS update for a reason that they no longer meet the device latest system requirements. Since the firmware update only enhances phone features and provides bug fixes to current device issues, these third-party apps also need to have separate updates to resolve their respective system errors and to cope up with the new software of your device. With that being said, some owners of the iPhone XR reported about Youtube app that could no longer play videos after iOS 13 update.
Or it could be that the apps are left running in the background for too long prior to the iOS update, resulting them to crash and become corrupted. As a result, they tend to malfunction to the extent that they will not work at all.
In this post, we offer workable solutions to apps issues specifically for YouTube in which it can’t play videos after iOS 13 on iPhone XR. If you are experiencing this kind of issue on your iPhone, then this should be a worthy read for you.
Before we move on to our troubleshooting, if you happen to find this post while looking for a solution to a different problem, then visit our iPhone XR Help Guides page for we have already addressed some of the most common issues with this device. We may have already published articles that could help you fix your problem. Find issues that are similar to yours and feel free to use our solutions.
First solution: Close YouTube and the rest of the running background apps.
As mentioned, apps that are left running for quite some time will become corrupted. With that being said, closing the Youtube app and all other running apps can possibly correct the problem. To get this done, follow these steps:
- From the Home screen, swipe up from the bottom and then slightly pause.in the middle.
- Swipe left or right to search for the YouTube app preview.
- Then swipe up the YouTube app preview to close it.
- If you see multiple running apps in the background, make sure to close them as well. Doing so will not only avoid the apps from getting corrupted, but also to prevent them from conflicting with the YouTube app in the future.
After you have successfully closed all the running apps, open the YouTube app again. Then try to play a video and see if it is already working.
Second solution: Restart (soft reset) your iPhone XR.
If you still can’t play videos on YouTube after closing the running apps from the background, try to restart your iPhone XR. This simple trick is known to fix different phone issues inflicted by minor software glitches and firmware crashes after an iOS update. Should you wish to give it a try, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and either Volume Up or Down button simultaneously for at least 15 seconds.
- Release the buttons once the Slide to Power Off command appears.
- Then drag the power off slider to the right to completely shut down your iPhone XR.
- After about 30 seconds, press and hold the Side/Power button again until the Apple logo appears.
Once your phone completely boots up, all the cache and corrupted apps files should be eliminated, refreshing your phone’s operating system. Then launch the YouTube app again. Select any videos and play. If the problem still persists, move to the next workaround.
Third solution: Toggle Wi-Fi off and on again.
As we are already aware of, YouTube app is an internet-operated app. Which means that this app will not work as intended if you have poor internet connection up to no internet service at all. To restore YouTube app to its workable state, refresh your internet connection by simply turning it off and then on again. Here is how it’s done:
- From Home, go to Settings.
- Then tap on the Wi-Fi menu.
- Toggle the Wi-Fi switch to turn the feature off shortly, then tap it again to turn it back on.
Alternatively, you can also utilize the Airplane Mode trick to refresh your iPhone’s wireless radios including Wi-Fi. If you haven’t done this trick yet on your iPhone, here are the steps:
- From Home, go to Settings.
- Select the Airplane Mode menu.
- Tap the Airplane Mode switch to enable the feature.
- While the Airplane Mode is on, restart (soft reset) your iPhone XR.
- Then head back to Settings->Airplane Mode menu and toggle the switch to disable the feature again.
Random internet connection issues inflicted by minor iOS bugs should then be eliminated after refreshing your internet connection using either of the options given above.
Then, re-establish your internet connection to access the YouTube app again. If YouTube can’t play videos still, try to open your browser or any internet-operated apps to check the status of your internet connection. If everything works fine except YouTube, you need to troubleshoot further.
Fourth solution: Update YouTube app on your iPhone XR.
YouTube app may not work properly as intended if it has not been updated prior to the iOS 13 update. If you haven’t set the third-party apps to auto-update, you would need to manually check for and install any pending apps updates including for YouTube app on your iPhone XR. To do so, follow the provided steps below:
- From Home, go to the App Store.
- Tap your Profile icon on the top-right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down to the Pending updates section to view the list of pending apps updates available to install. However, this section won’t be available if there are no available apps updates.
- Locate the YouTube app and tap on Update next to it.
- Otherwise, select Update All to install all pending apps updates simultaneously. To check for the recently installed updates, simply scroll to the Updated Recently section.
After installing all the apps updates, reboot (soft reset) your iPhone XR to make sure that all the changes will be implemented properly. Doing so will also eliminate cache files from corrupted apps and refresh your phone’s system. Then check if you are now able to play videos on YouTube.
Fifth solution: Delete and Reinstall YouTube app.
An app that has been totally corrupted after an iOS update may not be mended by simply updating it to its latest version. Hence, completely removing the app from your phone’s system is recommended to correct the problem. There are two ways to uninstall an app from your phone. Either you do it from the App Store itself or through your phone’s settings. In this procedure, we will show you how to delete the YouTube app via phone settings. Here is how:
- From Home, go to Settings.
- Select General.
- Scroll to and tap on iPhone Storage.
- Select YouTube from the apps’ list.
- Then tap on Delete App option.
- If prompted, tap Delete to confirm the deletion of the YouTube app.
- Soft reset/reboot your iPhone XR after deleting the app.
- Then go to the App Store and search for the latest YouTube app version. Simply follow the onscreen instructions to complete the app installation.
After the process, reboot your iPhone XR for the changes to be properly applied, so as to refresh your phone’s internal memory. Afterwards, select a video to play from the YouTube app to check if the issue is now corrected.
Connect with us
We are committed to helping our readers fix the problems with their phones as well as learn how to properly use their devices. So, if you have other issues, you may visit our Help Guides page so you can check by yourself the articles we’ve already published that contain solutions to common problems. Also, we do create videos to demonstrate how things are done on your phone. Visit our Youtube Channel and please subscribe to it. Thanks.