We have received a lot of complaints from users who installed the latest iOS version to their iPhone devices. And the most recent issue that was raised is about getting No Service error on their iPhone iOS 13. Oftentimes, network carriers can be at fault when getting No Service error on our mobile devices. But if the problem started after updating your iOS, software-related bugs are likely to blame. Fortunately, easy-to-do solutions are now available which you can try on your end to eliminate these types of bugs and restore your phone’s cellular network service.
In this post, I will guide you in troubleshooting your iPhone XR that can’t send or receive text messages and phone calls due to the No Service error. We will try to consider all possibilities and rule them out one after another until we can determine what the problem really is and hopefully be able to fix it. So, if you’re an owner with a problem like this, continue reading because this article may be able to help you one way or the other.
Before anything else, if you are looking for a solution to a different problem, then drop in on our iPhone XR Help Guides page for we have already solved some of the most common problems with this device. Try to find issues that are similar to yours and feel free to use our workarounds and solutions.
How to fix the iPhone XR No Service error
The ‘No Service’ error isn’t really as bad or as serious as it may seem. In fact, you may be able to fix the problem and make your iPhone XR work perfectly again after doing a couple of procedures. So with that being said, here are the things you need to do…
First solution: Turn Airplane Mode on and then off again to fix iPhone XR with no service
Airplane Mode trick or the turning the Airplane Mode on and off again has been an effective fix to most phone’s wireless functions errors including the cellular network connection. So before performing more complex workarounds on your device, try this option first as it might right away fix the No Service error on your iPhone XR. Here is how:
- From the Home screen, launch the Settings app.
- Select Airplane Mode.
- Toggle the switch to enable the feature. This will temporarily disable your phone’s wireless radios including cellular network.
- After at least 10 seconds, toggle the switch to disable the feature again.
Wait until your iPhone XR device regains its cellular network connection. If it is no longer showing a No Service error message, try to make a test call and send yourself a message to make sure that your phone’s services and functions have been restored.
Second solution: Restart your iPhone XR that has no signal
Another way of refreshing your phone’s apps and system services is by giving it a quick restart. Considering that you just recently had a major software update, either a soft reset or a forced restart will also ensure that the new system changes will be properly implemented.
How to Restart your iPhone
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and either Volume button until the Slide to Power Off command appears.
- Then drag the power off slider to the right to turn off your iPhone.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Side/Power button again until the Apple logo appears. .
In case the soft reset still leave you a No Service error when the phone turns back on, try to perform a forced restart. This is also an effective way to close corrupted applications that might have triggered the symptoms to emerge after installing the latest iOS version. Here is how:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Then, press and hold the Side/Power button until the Apple logo appears.
After your phone finished booting up, check if the No server error has vanished. Don’t forget to check your phone’s features like for call and text to make sure that services and functions are fully restored.
Third solution: Remove and reinstall your SIM Card
A flawed or damaged SIM card can also trigger a No Service error on your iPhone device. Though the issue emerged after the iOS 13 implementation, it doesn’t always follow that post-update bugs are always to blame. To clear this out, you just need to check your SIM card and make sure that it is properly installed and is free of dirt and corrosion. Make sure to carefully perform the given steps below. Otherwise, you might end up damaging your SIM card.
How to properly re-seat the SIM card
- While your phone is turned off, insert the SIM ejector tool or a paper clip to the small hole to unlock and open the SIM tray.
- Gently push the SIM tray until it pops out.
- Remove the SIM card from the tray and check for any debris or dirt. Wipe it with a clean cloth and make sure that there are no scratches or any signs of physical damage.
- Then place it back to the SIM tray and ensure that it is properly installed.
- Gently push the tray back into the slot to close it.
Minor software glitches should also be eliminated after the process, giving your phone’s operating system a fresh start. Then turn your iPhone XR back on and check if the No Service error has been corrected. If your phone is still not back on track, try the next option.
Fourth solution: Reset network settings on your iPhone XR
The new system implementation might have flawed your current network settings causing conflict with your phone’s cellular network connection. Thus, restoring your network settings to default will more likely help fix the No Service error on your iPhone XR device. Follow these steps to carry out network settings reset on your device:
- Open the Settings app from Home.
- Select General.
- Scroll to and tap on Reset.
- Select the option Reset Network Settings.
- Enter your device passcode to continue, and then select the option to confirm the reset.
After the reset, your phone will reboot by itself. Make sure to re-enable the necessary features to use them at a later time as this reset will restore the original values and options for the network settings. Therefore, all saved Wi-Fi and Bluetooth information will be deleted.
Fifth solution: Perform an iOS restore via iTunes
If you are still getting a No Service error on your iPhone XR up to this point, you might be dealing with tough post-update bugs. To eliminate these types of bugs and to restore your phone’s cellular network connection, we recommend you to perform an iOS restore using iTunes. Wiping everything from your phone’s internal memory and setting it up as new will also give you a guarantee to have a clean iOS installation. Since this option will possibly delete all saved files on your device, don’t forget to back up these files to either iCloud or iTunes beforehand. Once these files are secured, connect your iPhone XR to the computer using the supplied USB cable and follow these steps:
- Launch iTunes on your computer.
- Wait until your iPhone XR shows up in iTunes and then select the name of your iPhone XR device.
- If needed, click the option to back up your phone to iCloud or iTunes on the computer.
- You will be prompted with options to Update or Restore your device.
- Choose Restore option to reset your iPhone XR and select the option to confirm the action.
iTunes will then start to download and install the latest software version for your iPhone XR. Once completed, follow the onscreen instructions to set up your iPhone XR as new again.
What to do next when No Service error still persists
If neither of the given solutions was able to fix the problem and you are out of options in fixing the No Service error on your iPhone XR, the best thing you need to do is to seek help from Apple or call your network service provider. The issue might be not rectifiable on your end, but surely both your network service provider and Apple will find appropriate solutions to help you fix the No Service error on your iPhone XR device.
Connect with us
We are committed to helping our readers fix the problems with their phones as well as learn how to properly use their devices. So, if you have other issues, you may visit our Help Guides page so you can check by yourself the articles we’ve already published that contain solutions to common problems. Also, we do create videos to demonstrate how things are done on your phone. Visit our Youtube Channel and please subscribe to it. Thanks.