With Apple’s very own messaging system, you can send unlimited messages to other Apple devices for free; as long as your iOS device is connected to a Wi-Fi network or cellular data is enabled. However, iMessage has developed a fault after the latest iOS 13.2 implementation. Some users are no longer receiving iMessages, and others complained of getting an error message “service not available” when sending iMessages.
Listed below are helpful tips users can refer to when having iMessages not working issue on iOS 13.2 iPhone XR device. Read on and have an understanding on how to address the issue.
Before we move on to our troubleshooting, if you happen to find this post while looking for a solution to a different problem, then visit our iPhone XR Help Guides page for we have already addressed some of the most common issues with this device. We may have already published articles that could help you fix your problem. Find issues that are similar to yours and feel free to use our solutions.
Troubleshooting iMessage that is not working after iOS 13.2 on iPhone XR
The essential factor for iMessage to work on iOS device is the internet connection. When your phone is having unstable internet service, it always follow that iMessage won’t function as intended. Other triggers that can hinder iMessage to misbehave are minor software glitches, invalid settings configurations, iOS bugs, and possible service maintenance. If Apple is having service maintenance including iMessage, there is nothing that you can do on your end but to wait until the maintenance is over. To check for possible iMessage server outage, check Apple’s System Status online.
Make sure as well that your phone’s date and time are set automatically. Head to Settings->General->Data & Time. If there is no on-going outage, the date & time are set automatically, your phone has a stable internet connection and yet iMessage is still down, troubleshoot your iOS device using the methods listed below.
First solution: Force close the Messages app and the re-open to fix iMessage that is not working after iOS 13.2.
The Messages app could have been corrupted after the new system implementation. To rule this out, simply give the app a clean and fresh start. Here’s how:
- From Home, swipe your finger up and then slightly pause in the middle.
- Swipe left or right to navigate through the apps preview.
- Search for Messages app, and then swipe the app preview upward to close it.
- Do the same to the rest of the running apps to avoid any of them from conflicting with the Messages app.
After closing all the running apps in the background, restart (soft reset/force restart) your iPhone XR to fully dump out cache files from possible corrupted apps and refresh your phone’s operating system.
Here’s how to soft reset your iOS device:
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and either Volume Up/Down button.
- Once the Slide to Power Off command appears, release both buttons.
- Drag the power off slider to the right for a complete device shut down.
- Leave it off for at least 30 seconds. Then press and hold the Side/Power button again until the Apple logo appears.
To force restart your iPhone XR, follow these steps:
- Press and then quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and then quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Side/Power button until the Apple logo appears.
Once your iPhone XR is completely back on, launch the Messages app again and check if you are already able to send or receive iMessages.
Second solution: Toggle the Messages off and on again on both iMessages and iCloud.
Corrupted iMessage data and/or iCloud related-account issue can also be the underlying cause for iMessage to misbehave. To clear this out, you just need to refresh the iMessages feature on your device. First, toggle the iMessages off and on using these steps:
- From Home, go to Settings.
- Select Messages.
- Then tap the iMessage switch to turn the feature off.
- While iMessage is off, restart (soft reset) your iPhone XR. Then head back to Settings->Messages and then toggle the iMessage switch to turn the feature back on.
Then proceed to refresh the messaging feature on iCloud. Here are the steps:
- Launch the Settings app from Home.
- Tap to select your Apple ID profile.
- Then tap iCloud.
- Scroll to the Apps Using iCloud section and tap Messages to turn it off and on again.
After performing the provided steps above, check if iMessaging is already working by sending a sample text to your own phone number or other iOS device. If iMessage is still not working, move on to the next solution.
Third option: Reset network settings to fix iMessage that is not working after iOS 13.2 on iPhone XR.
- Open Settings from Home.
- Select General.
- Scroll down to and tap Reset.
- Select Reset network settings.
- Enter your device passcode to continue.
- Then select the option to confirm network settings reset.
Wait until your phone is back on after the reset. Since the network settings have been restored to default, proceed to set-up your Wi-Fi network again and reconnect. Then try to send an iMessage from your iOS device and check if it’s already working. Otherwise, proceed to the next procedure.
Fourth solution: Reset all settings on your iPhone XR.
If the previous reset fails to fix the iMessage not working issue on your iOS device, try reverting your phone’s settings to default. Any values and options that were altered automatically by the iOS update which might have caused conflict to the iMessage system will likely be cleared out after the process. Same with the previous reset, all settings reset doesn’t result in a complete data loss. Thus, creating a back-up for your files is not yet necessary. Here’s what you need to do:
- From Home, launch the Settings app.
- Select General.
- Scroll to and tap Reset.
- Select Reset all settings option.
- If prompted, enter your device passcode and then continue.
- Then select the option to confirm all settings reset.
Your phone will reboot by itself after the reset and loads the default values and options. To make sure that your phone will be able to send and receive iMessages, head to Settings->Messages->iMessage then toggle the switch on, if needed. Then head back to Settings->Messages->Send & Receive and ensure that correct phone number and Apple ID (email address) is checked below “you can receive iMessages to and reply from”.
Fifth option: Restore your iPhone XR to factory default settings to fix iMessage that is not working after iOS 13.2. (factory reset)
If your iMessage is still not working after exhausting the solutions above, you can try restoring your phone to factory default settings. This way, any invalid configurations that have caused iMessage to act up, random software glitches, and possible iOS bugs will be cleared out. The factory reset will give your phone a brand new start, and a clean iOS restore. Since this will delete everything that has been saved in your phone’s memory, make sure to back-up your files with iCloud or iTunes beforehand. Once everything is set, follow these steps to carry out factory reset on your iOS device. Here are the steps:
- From the Home screen, go to Settings.
- Select General.
- Scroll to and tap Reset.
- Select Erase all content and settings option.
- Enter your device passcode when asked, then continue.
- Then select the option to confirm factory reset.
Wait until the process has been completed. Then follow the onscreen prompts to set up your device as new again. Don’t forget to check iMessage and see if the problem has been fixed.
iMessage still not working on your iPhone XR running on iOS 13.2
Majority of iOS users were able to address the iMessaging issue using the fixes provided above. But in case the error is still persistent after exhausting the potential solutions given, you can contact your network service provider for further assistance. There might be something that needs to be configured on their end for iMessage to work on your phone that is now running on iOS 13.2. Otherwise, contact Apple Support and escalate the issue.
Connect with us
We are committed to helping our readers fix the problems with their phones as well as learn how to properly use their devices. So, if you have other issues, you may visit our Help Guides page so you can check by yourself the articles we’ve already published that contain solutions to common problems. Also, we do create videos to demonstrate how things are done on your phone. Visit our Youtube Channel and please subscribe to it. Thanks.