When a particular app on your phone starts to act weird, you right away check on your internet connection thinking you might just have poor or unstable signal but only to find out that the rest of the apps are perfectly working fine. Instances like this are most likely isolated to an application. In this article, I will tackle a pertinent issue in which the Gmail app that doesn’t load or won’t work at all when trying to access it on your iPhone XR. I’ve also mapped out a few suggested tweaks and possible solutions for you to try on. Read on to learn what to do if for some reason, you couldn’t access the Gmail app as it doesn’t work or won’t load on your iPhone XR.
Before we proceed, if you’re looking for a solution to a problem with your phone, try to browse through our iPhone XR Help Guides page to see if we support your device. If your phone is in the list of our supported devices, then go to the troubleshooting page and look for similar problems. Feel free to use our solutions and workarounds.
What causes Gmail app to stop working on your iPhone XR?
You will know when you’re having issue with Gmail if you are starting to receive error messages about server failure, incorrect login information, unable to connect using SSL, IMAP server problem and up to having unresponsive app. When the mail settings had been set up properly, correct login information is used, and the internet connection is excellent, it is possible that the Gmail app itself has been corrupted. Could it be a server problem or a malware issue, the tips below which can be executed in your end will surely fix the Gmail problem on your iPhone XR.
Solution #1: Soft reset your iPhone XR.
Often times, a soft reset can fix simple issues such as Gmail not working problem. Doing so will refresh your phone’s internal memory and remove cache files that might have conflicted Gmail’s functionality.
- Press and hold the Side button and either Volume Up/Down button simultaneously.
- Release both buttons when the Slide to Power off appears on the screen.
- Drag the Power off slider from left to right to turn off your phone.
- Wait for 30 seconds, then press and hold the Side button again until the Apple logo appears.
Whenever your phone has completely restarted, try to launch the Gmail app and see if the tricks fix the problem.
Solution #2: Quit and restart the Gmail app on your iPhone.
Just like any other apps installed on your iPhone, Gmail app becomes corrupted when it is running in the background for a long period of time. Such apps should be closed when not in used as this may result for the app to malfunction. If this is the case, you need to close and restart the Gmail app on your iPhone XR handset. Here is how you do it:
- On your Home screen, swipe your finger upward and then pause in the middle.
- Swipe either left or right and look for the Gmail app preview.
- Once you found the app’s preview, swipe it up to close it.
When you see multiple apps running in the background, might as well clear them all to avoid incurring additional apps problem on your iPhone.
Solution #3: Delete the email account from your iPhone, and add it again.
When you are navigating your Gmail account and suddenly the page won’t load or it stuck on a particular page, this can be quickly fix by simply removing the email account from your phone, then add it again. Here is how you to the process on your phone’s settings:
- From the Home screen, go to Settings.
- Select Accounts & Passwords.
- Tap on Accounts.
- Scroll down to and select Gmail.
- Then, tap on Delete Account.
After the Gmail account has been deleted, reboot your phone. Once it is back on, add the email again by going to the same path: Settings->Accounts & Passwords->Add Account->Gmail. Then, type in your login credentials. When the account has been added again, open the Gmail app and see if it is already working.
Solution #4: Uninstall and reinstall the Gmail app.
When the Gmail account doesn’t load or won’t work at all, it is possible that the app is completely corrupted, and is no longer responding. This can be rectified by uninstalling and reinstalling the app on your phone. To remove the Gmail app, follow the steps below:
- From the Apps screen, tap and hold the Gmail app until the icon starts to jiggle.
- Then, tap the X icon on the Gmail app.
- Tap Delete to confirm the action.
Another way of uninstalling the Gmail app is through your phone’s settings:
- From the Home screen, go to Settings.
- Select General.
- Tap on iPhone Storage menu.
- Select the Gmail app.
- Then, tap Delete app to confirm.
Once the Gmail app has been successfully uninstalled, restart your phone. Then go to Apps Store to download and install the Gmail app on your phone again. Make sure to select the latest version of the Gmail app for your iPhone XR and follow the rest of the onscreen instructions to install the app.
Solution #5: Reset the network settings on your iPhone XR.
When you recently updated the iOS version of your iPhone or modified some settings on your phone, this could also be one of the reasons as to why your Gmail will stop working. Thus, resetting the network settings back to defaults may provide a positive result. Here are the steps:
- From the Home screen, go to Settings.
- Tap General.
- Scroll down to and tap Reset.
- Select Reset Network Settings option.
- When prompted, enter your passcode to continue.
- Then tap Reset Network Settings to confirm the action.
Once your phone is already back on after the reset, make sure that your Wi-Fi is enabled or the cellular data is on. Afterwards, launch the Gmail app and see if it is already working. If the page won’t load or doesn’t work at all, try the next solution.
Solution #6: Check and make sure that the IMAP is enabled on webmail.
The technology that is used by Gmail to send and receive messages is called IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol). When the IMAP has been disabled on the email settings, chances are the email account won’t be able to perform the any given tasks such as sending emails, and even won’t receive one. Being said, it is necessary to check your email settings and enable the IMAP when necessary. Doing this process will require you to access your email on your web browser. You can either you’re your iPhone XR handset, or a computer if available.
- On the web browser, open the Gmail website.
- Enter your email address and password. If you are using your iPhone, a pop up message may appear on your screen asking you to download the app. In this case, select the option Go to the Mobile Gmail site.
- After logging into your email account, select the link next to View Gmail In and then select Desktop.
- Then tap Settings and select Forwarding and POP/IMAP option. Check the bottom part of the page, and see if IMAP option is enabled. If it’s not, then tap the radio button to enable next to it the feature.
After making all these changes to the IMAP settings, restart your phone. After it reboots, launch the Gmail app and see if it is working already. Again, make sure that you are connected to Wi-Fi internet or cellular data is turned on as the Gmail app won’t be able to work if your phone doesn’t have internet connection.
Still couldn’t get Gmail app to work or load properly on your iPhone XR?
If you found no luck from the provided solutions above, then you may opt to use other email apps, like the built-in Mail app instead. Otherwise, report the problem to Google support. There may be some advanced email settings that need to be re-configured for the Gmail app to work properly on your iPhone XR.
You can also ask more help from Apple Support especially if the problem started after installing new update to iOS.
I hope that we’ve been able to help you fix the problem with your device. We would appreciate it if you helped us spread the word so please share this post if you found it helpful. Thank you so much for reading!
- How to fix an Apple iPhone XR that keeps losing signal, problem on signal drops
- How to fix an Apple iPhone XR that is suddenly lagging and freezing