The latest iOS 13 version offers various enhancements for the Mail app. Extended blocking options, address auto-complete, additional fonts and design choices are some of these new improvements. With these stuff, no one could have thought that the Mail app will still malfunction after the iOS 13 implementation. Almost all forum websites we visited received concerns regarding email issues, like email won’t send in iOS 13 iPhones. In line with that, we have listed some helpful tips to solve email issues on iOS 13, unable to send emails in particular.
Before we move on to our troubleshooting, if you happen to find this post while looking for a solution to a different problem, then visit our iPhone XS Help Guides page for we have already addressed some of the most common issues with this device. We may have already published articles that could help you fix your problem. Find issues that are similar to yours and feel free to use our solutions.
Fixing iOS 13 emails won’t send on iPhone XS
Considering that the email won’t send issue started after iOS 13, the walkthroughs we provided mainly focus on fixing post-update bugs, software issues, and invalid network configurations caused by iOS bugs. Read on and learn how to diagnose email won’t send issue on your iPhone XS device.
First solution: Close and then relaunch Mail app
If the Mail app is running for too long in the background even after iOS 13 implementation, it is possible that the app has gone rouge or corrupted. To clear this out, quit the app and launch it again, for a clean and fresh start. Here’s how:
- Swipe up and then hold from the bottom of the screen to launch the App Switcher.
- Then swipe left or right to locate the Mail app preview.
- Swipe up the Mail app preview to close/quit the app.
If you have multiple apps running in the background, better close all of them to avoid having further issues on your phone. After closing all the background apps, launch the Mail app again and try sending another message. If you wish to send the previously unsent messages, head to Settings->Mail Boxes ->Outbox to select the email you want to resend. Follow the onscreen prompt to send the email.
Second solution: Refresh your network connection
Mail app is among the online services that requires a stable internet connection to function and work properly. If happens that you are having a bad internet connection on your device resulting for the emails not to be sent after iOS 13, refresh your internet by turning the Wi-Fi off and then on again. Follow these steps:
- Head to Settings from Home.
- Select Wi-Fi.
- Toggle the switch to disable the feature.
- While Wi-Fi is off, restart (soft reset) your iPhone XS device.
- Then head back to Settings->Wi-Fi and then toggle the switch to turn the feature back on.
On the other hand, you can also refresh your network connection by turning the Airplane Mode on and off again. This doesn’t only refresh your internet connection but the rest of your phone’s wireless radios. To get this done, follow these steps:
- From Home, launch Settings.
- Select Airplane Mode.
- Toggle the switch to turn it on.
- Restart (soft reset) your iPhone XR device while the Airplane Mode is enabled.
- Then head over to Settings->Airplane Mode and then tap the switch again to disable the feature.
Once your phone has re-established its connection, open the Mail app and try to send another email. Or you can also head over to your Outbox to try sending the unsent messages. If still the emails won’t send in iOS 13, give the next option a try.
Third solution: Reset network settings to fix emails won’t send
Whenever your phone is experiencing network connectivity issues, online apps and services will not work as intended. In the event that the underlying cause is network errors due to automatic system changes override, reverting to default network settings should be a good fix to try. Here’s how you reset network settings on your iPhone XR:
- Open Settings app from your Home screen.
- Select General.
- Scroll down to and tap Reset.
- Select Reset network settings option.
- Enter your device passcode when prompted to continue.
- Then select the option to confirm the network settings reset.
Your phone will reboot automatically after the reset. Once it is back on, set-up your Wi-Fi network again to reconnect. This is necessary since the reset has deleted all saved networks and passwords for both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. Once you are connected to the wireless network, check if you can send emails from your device. If not, move on to the next method.
Fourth solution: Delete your email account and set it up again
As mentioned, major software update can trigger automatic settings override and it’s possible that email settings had been compromised after the iOS 13 update. To rule this out, remove the email account from your phone and set it up again. Here’s how:
- Tap Settings from Home.
- Select Accounts & Passwords.
- Tap to select the email that needs to be deleted.
- Tap Delete Account option and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the email deletion process.
Once the email has been successfully deleted, restart (soft reset) your iPhone XS to delete remaining cache files from the corrupted email. To set up the email account, you can either do it automatically or manually. If you have the complete information (including server info) of your email, then you can manually set it up using these steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Select Accounts & Passwords.
- Tap Add Account.
- Select your email provider from the list. Otherwise, tap on Other and manually add your email account.
- Enter your email address and password to their respective fields.
- Tap Next and then follow the onscreen instructions to complete the adding of the email account process.
Fifth solution: Verify and manage Date & Time settings on your iPhone XS device
Some phone functions including emails won’t work properly if the date and time are not set correctly. Either the date and time settings were automatically overridden after the iOS update or it was really set up incorrectly, verify and correct this information using these steps:
- From Settings, select General.
- Scroll to then select Date & Time.
- Tap the switch indicator to next to Set Automatically to make sure that the date and time will update automatically whenever you transfer to another location with different time zone.
Reboot (soft reset) your phone when necessary changes had been made. Then check if the email won’t send issue has been corrected with this trick.
Last solution: Restore your iPhone XS to factory default settings
Complex software issues might have ruined the Mail app system making it harder to fix. Given that none of the solutions above is able to fix the issue, restoring your phone to factory default settings should now be carried out. This will not only clear out complex bugs affecting your phone’s system but also wiping everything saved on your phone’s memory so make sure to back-up your files prior to the factory reset. When these files have been secured with either iTunes or iCloud, proceed restoring your phone as new using these steps:
- Go to Settings from the Home screen.
- Select General.
- Scroll to and tap Reset.
- Select Erase all content and settings from the options.
- If prompted, enter your device passcode and then continue.
- Select the option to confirm the factory reset.
Once your iPhone XS has been restored to default, proceed to set-up your phone as new again. Simply follow the onscreen instructions to complete the setup process. This could also mean for you to set-up the email account again. You can manually do the process or use the email set-up wizard to automatically used the email settings information like the email servers and port numbers.
Seek Advanced solutions from the Expert
If you are still having issues with your email up to this point, we strongly recommend contacting Apple Support for further assistance. And again, make sure to provide detailed information to when the problem started and what has been done in an attempt to correct the issue, so Apple will be able to provide the most effective solution for the problem.
Connect with us
We are committed to helping our readers fix the problems with their phones as well as learn how to properly use their devices. So, if you have other issues, you may visit our Help Guides page so you can check by yourself the articles we’ve already published that contain solutions to common problems. Also, we do create videos to demonstrate how things are done on your phone. Visit our Youtube Channel and please subscribe to it. Thanks.