Notification problems on an iPhone are usually software-related unless the symptoms occur after accidentally dropping or getting your phone wet. While this may not be considered a major issue, other people who are relying much on notification alerts would make it a big deal.
Highlighted below are workarounds and some helpful tweaks that are used to deal with a pertinent issue on the new Apple iPhone XR handset. Read on to learn what to do to rule out software-related factors that might have caused your iPhone XR notifications to stop working.
Before we move on, however, if you are looking for a solution to a different problem, then make sure to drop in on our iPhone XR Help Guides page for we have already addressed some of the most common issues with this device. We may have already published posts that could help you fix your problem.
First solution: Restart/soft reset your iPhone XR.
Restarting can do much more than just turning the phone off and then back on. In iOS devices, a device restart or soft reset effectively clears out junk files that are causing various issues including rogue apps and other atypical system behaviours. Should this be a minor glitch on your iPhone’s audio system, then you should consider performing a soft reset as the first workaround. Here’s how it’s done:
Posts you might like
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and either Volume buttons simultaneously for a few seconds.
- Release the buttons when the Slide to Power Off command appears.
- Drag the power off slider to the right.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Power button or Side button again until the phone reboots.
Wait until the phone boots up then test to see if notifications are already working as intended. If necessary, use another phone to send a sample message to your iPhone XR and see if you can hear the notification alert for the message you’ve sent. If not, then try continue to troubleshoot and try other applicable solutions.
If the notifications stop working after installing a new app, try to delete or uninstall the suspected app then restart your iPhone XR. If the problem started after installing a new iOS update, then install all pending app updates and then do a soft reset to refresh your iPhone apps and services.
Second solution: Toggle the ringer switch off or on.
Start working on the most obvious and that is the Ring/Silent switch on your iPhone. The actual placement of this switch makes it possible to turn your device into silent mode or vice versa unintentionally. So here’s what you’re going to do then.
Make sure that the switch is set to ring mode to allow sounds and alerts on your iPhone. You will know if it’s set to silent if the switch shows orange. In that case, you need to toggle the switch to Ring Mode. If it’s already set to Ring mode, toggle the switch to Silent and then back to Ring Mode. Also care to adjust the volume Up and Down controls. If possible, increase the volume level to make all sounds audible.
Third solution: Toggle Airplane Mode on and off.
Network errors can also cause such problems particularly to network-related apps and services on your phone. If your iPhone is having Internet connectivity issues like intermittent connection or no Internet connection at all, you won’t be able to get notifications for online apps. To rule this out, you can try the Airplane mode trick to refresh wireless radios and relevant features of your phone. Here’s how it works:
- From the Home screen, tap Settings.
- Select Airplane Mode, then toggle the switch to turn Airplane Mode ON. Doing so disables wireless radios of your iPhone.
- While Airplane mode is turned on, restart (soft reset) your iPhone XR.
- Then head back to Settings-> Airplane Mode menu then toggle the switch to turn Airplane Mode OFF again.
Wait until your iPhone re-established Wi-Fi internet connection and then see if online notifications are already working. You can create a sample email then send it to the email account set up on your Mail app. If you get the email notification alert, then the problem is fixed. Otherwise, troubleshoot further.
Fourth solution: Disable Do Not Disturb.
If you see a half-moon (crescent) shaped icon on the status bar of your iPhone, it means that Do Not Disturb is enabled and is likely preventing notification alerts from showing up. In this case, you need to turn OFF Do Not Disturb feature on your iPhone XR. Here’s how:
- Tap Settings from the Home screen.
- Then tap Do Not Disturb.
- Toggle the switch next to Do Not Disturb to turn the feature OFF.
Doing so enables calls and alerts that arrive while your iPhone screen is locked.
Fifth solution: Set your iPhone apps to allow notifications.
If notifications aren’t working only for certain apps, then check and ensure that notifications for these apps are enabled and properly configured. To access and manage app notifications on your iPhone XR, simply follow these steps:
- From the Home screen, tap Settings.
- Tap Notifications.
- Select the app where you’re having trouble getting notification alerts.
- Then tap the switch to turn on the option to Allow Notifications for each app.
Also check and configure other notifications options such as Alerts for lock screen, sound alerts, badges, notification previews and grouping. You can find these options just below the App Notifications screen.
- Reset all settings. If your iPhone XR notifications are still not working, then you may opt to troubleshoot further and rule out invalid options or incorrect configurations by resetting all settings. This reset wipes all current customizations and restores the default options and values. Unlike a factory reset, this process does not affect any saved information on the phone storage.
- Update iOS. Installing the latest iOS version for your iPhone can also fix the problem if malwares and bugs are to blame. Apple usually pushes new updates containing the required fix patches to address existing issues on iOS devices. So make sure your iPhone XR is up-to-date. You can install new iOS update via OTA (wirelessly) or manually update your iPhone through iTunes on a Windows or Mac computer.
- System reset and restore. The last option you can try on to rule out major system issues would be a system reset and restore. This is where a factory reset, recovery mode restore and DFU mode restore play a critical role. Major system errors and software problems that could not be remedied by prior workarounds are usually dealt with by any of these methods. But the main downside would be on permanent data loss. Should you wish to continue, be sure to back up all your important files to iCloud or iTunes to recover them thereafter.
- Service/iPhone repair. If you run out of options and still couldn’t get your iPhone XR notifications to work, then you may consider taking a trip to the nearest Apple-authorized service center in your place. Your iPhone might have obtained some sort of physical or liquid damage that needs hardware repair.
I hope that we’ve been able to help you fix the problem with your device. We would appreciate it if you helped us spread the word so please share this post if you found it helpful. Thank you so much for reading!
- How to fix an Apple iPhone XR that has no Internet access even if connected to Wi-Fi
- How to fix an Apple iPhone XR that cannot send or receive SMS or text messages
- How to deal with slow or intermittent charging problem on an Apple iPhone XR, takes too long to complete charge
- How to fix Apple iPhone XR notifications that are not working as intended
- How to fix Visual Voicemail that is not working on an Apple iPhone XR, voicemail notification error iOS 12