When experiencing Bluetooth pairing error, it is important to determine which device to troubleshoot. To find out whether it’s the iPhone XR or the Bluetooth device that is having a problem with, try to connect or pair your iPhone XR to other Bluetooth accessories, if available. If happens that you are able to pair your iPhone device to different accessories, this could only mean that the problem is not with your iPhone XR. Therefore, you need to troubleshoot the Bluetooth device or contact the manufacturer for further assistance. Otherwise, you need to troubleshoot your iPhone device using the common fixes we have listed below.
Mapped out below are common fixes for Bluetooth pairing error you might be facing after installing iOS 13 on your iPhone XR. While this problem is pretty annoying at times, it’s not actually that hard to fix. In fact, based on experience, you may be able to make your phone pair with your Bluetooth device after doing one or a couple of procedures. So, if you have this kind of problem, continue reading.
Before we move on to our troubleshooting, if you happen to find this post while looking for a solution to a different problem, then visit our iPhone XR Help Guides page for we have already addressed some of the most common issues with this device. We may have already published articles that could help you fix your problem. Find issues that are similar to yours and feel free to use our solutions.
How to fix bluetooth pairing error on iOS 13 iPhone XR?
Given that the issue is with your iPhone XR, it is also important to understand the common triggers for this symptom to emerge. That way, you can prevent the issue to occur again in the future. Below, we have listed the common triggers and solutions for Bluetooth pairing error on iPhone XR. You can use this information as a reference in case you’ll be having the same issue on your iPhone device after installing iOS 13. Read on.
Posts you might like
First solution: Refresh Bluetooth feature by turning it off and on again.
Turning the Bluetooth off and on again will give the feature a clean start, in case the iOS 13 implementation corrupted the Bluetooth function on your device. You can manage the Bluetooth feature by launching the Control Center or via settings menu. Below is the usual way of doing it through your phone’s menu settings. Here is how:
- From the Home screen, launch Settings.
- Select Bluetooth menu.
- Toggle the switch to turn the Bluetooth feature off.
- After at least 5 seconds, tap the switch again to turn the Bluetooth feature back on.
- You will be prompted with a list of Bluetooth devices within range.
- Search for and select the Bluetooth device that you will be pairing with your iPhone XR device.
Check if your phone is able to connect or pair with the Bluetooth accessories. If you’re able to pair the devices successfully, then you’re all good now. But if you’re still prompted with a Bluetooth pairing error while trying to connect, then you need to continue troubleshooting your iPhone XR device.
Second solution: Forget Bluetooth devices.
What happens when you forget/delete Bluetooth devices on your phone? Simple. Among the possible triggers for the Bluetooth pairing error on iOS 13 to emerge are those corrupted Bluetooth connections. And these corrupted connections can be eliminated by simply forgetting or deleting them from your phone’s directory. To carry this out, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings from Home.
- Select Bluetooth.
- Tap the information “i” icon next to your Bluetooth device name.
- Tap Forget This Device button and then confirm.
If you see multiple Bluetooth devices saved on your phone’s directly, better yet delete all of them to avoid complications. When all of the saved Bluetooth devices have been successfully deleted, pair your iPhone XR with your Bluetooth device again by heading to Settings->Bluetooth, select your Bluetooth device name, and then tap to Pair or Connect.
Third solution: Reset network settings to fix Bluetooth pairing error
Bluetooth pairing error may have transpired due to automatic system override during the iOS 13 update. To rule this out, restore the network settings to default using these steps:
- Launch Settings app from your Home screen.
- Select General
- Scroll down to and tap Reset.
- Then select Reset network settings option.
- Enter your device passcode when prompted, and then continue.
- Then tap the option to confirm network settings reset on your iPhone XR device.
All saved networks and passwords will be deleted for both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth after the process, so proceed to set-up your Bluetooth network again once your phone has finished booting up after the reset. Then try pairing your iPhone XR with the Bluetooth device and see if it is successful.
Fourth solution: Check for and install latest iOS update when available.
Few weeks after iOS 13 was released, Apple rolled out additional iOS updates. One of these updates which is the iOS 13.1.2, contains fixes for iPhones having issues with the Bluetooth functions. If the main trigger of the bluetooth pairing error after iOS 13 on your iPhone XR is due to iOS 13 bugs, then installing the newest iOS version should likely resolve the issue. To do so, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings from the Home screen.
- Select General.
- Tap Software Update. Once you’re prompted with the new software versions available, tap to download and install the update. If available, select the iOS 13.1.2 version.
Your phone will reboot by itself after the update. But in case it didn’t restart automatically, you can restart (soft reset) your iPhone XR device using these steps:
- Press and hold the Side/Power button and either Volume Up/Down button simultaneously.
- Release both buttons once Slide to Power Off command appears, and then drag the power off slider to the right to shut down your iPhone device.
- Wait for at least 30 seconds and then your iPhone back on. To do so, press and hold the Side/Power button and then release once the Apple logo appears.
If possible, you also need to restart your Bluetooth device to give it a clean and fresh start. To restart your Bluetooth device/accessory, simply locate the device Power button to turn it off. Give it at least 30 seconds, and then press the Power button again to turn the Bluetooth device back on. After restarting both devices, try to pair them again.
Fifth solution: Restore your iPhone XR in iTunes and setup as new again.
We really don’t suggest our readers to opt for this solution as the steps are a bit complicated. But if the Bluetooth pairing error still persists up to this far, then you don’t have a choice but to try this option. On the bright side, tough iOS bugs that triggers your phone to act can possibly be cleared out after the process. So if you want to give this trick a try, make sure that you have a Mac or Windows computer with latest iTunes version installed. If you’re set, follow these steps:
- Connect your iPhone XR to the computer using the supplied USB cable.
- While your iPhone device is connected, press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Then press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Lastly, press and hold the Side/Power button until your phone reboots and the iTunes recovery mode screen appears. Continue to press and hold the Side/Power button when the Apple logo appears to put your phone in Recovery Mode.
Open iTunes once your phone has entered the recovery mode. Then follow the onscreen instructions to restore your device and install the most recent iOS update.
What to do when Bluetooth pairing error still persists?
If you’ve already done anything you can on your end to no avail. It’s time to give yourself a break and seek help from the expert. This can also be a possible hardware-related error in which only Apple Support can handle. If there’s no nearest local office in your area, you can visit Apple Supports website to contact them or give them a call.
Connect with us
We are committed to helping our readers fix the problems with their phones as well as learn how to properly use their devices. So, if you have other issues, you may visit our Help Guides page so you can check by yourself the articles we’ve already published that contain solutions to common problems. Also, we do create videos to demonstrate how things are done on your phone. Visit our Youtube Channel and please subscribe to it. Thanks.